11.0106 dictionary; hypermedia; technophobia

Fri, 13 Jun 1997 20:20:25 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@parallel.park.uga.edu> (37)
Subject: Bayle's Dictionnaire

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@parallel.park.uga.edu> (39)
Subject: Hypermedia in den Geisteswissenschaften

[3] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (13)
Subject: technophobia

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:58:57 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@parallel.park.uga.edu>

>> Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1997 15:16:34 -0500
>> From: Mark Olsen <mark@barkov.uchicago.edu>

The ARTFL Project is happy to announce completion
of an experimental version of

PIERRE BAYLE'S DICTIONNAIRE
HISTORIQUE ET CRITIQUE

This is an image database of the four volumes of
the 1740 edition. Users can search for articles,
call up specific page numbers, or conduct text
searches in the 100-page thematic index. The average
size of the page image files is 400-450K, so
transmission may be slow.

We have undertaken this project, at least in part,
as an experiment in accessing large image-base
access methods, and we are eager to receive
comments from many users. It is possible that
at a later date we will proceed with full-text
data capture, but we will not carry out this
step for some time.

Please send remarks and questions to
Jack Iverson: jack@gide.uchicago.edu
Mark Olsen: mark@barkov.uchicago.edu

Thank you,
Jack Iverson, ARTFL Project research assistant

Mark Olsen
Assistant Director
ARTFL Project
University of Chicago
(773) 702-8687
WWW: http://humanities.uchicago.edu/ARTFL/ARTFL.html

Nothing will ever be attempted if all possible objections
must first be overcome. --- Samuel Johnson