11.0134 economists

Wed, 25 Jun 1997 19:51:11 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Brian Nielsen <b-nielsen@nwu.edu> (33)
Subject: Re: 11.0131 list software? economics of e-publishing?

[2] From: Leslie Burkholder <lburkhdl@interchg.ubc.ca> (10)
Subject: economics of e-publishing?

Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 17:14:08 -0500
From: Brian Nielsen <b-nielsen@nwu.edu>

At 10:27 PM 6/23/97 +0100, you wrote:
> Date: Mon, 23 Jun 1997 13:54:52 +0100 (BST)
> From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
> >
>I am looking for an economist of electronic publishing who is primarily
>interested in the system-wide effects of e-publishing within the academy. A
>socio-ecological economist? The question I wish to raise with such a person
>is how e-publishing affects and is likely to affect the way we are
>organised, what we do, and how we do it. Suggestions please.

Willard --

Two folks come to mind for me: one is the current dean of Berkeley's
library school, Hal Varian, to whom you should at least pose the question
directly. Hal is an economist, done some very interesting things, but
perhaps not right on topic of your interest -- see

The second person is Michael Buckland, FORMER dean at the same school. His
training was in librarianship, but in Britain, where it was fairly heavy
operations-research oriented. But take a look at his book:

Buckland, Michael Keeble.
Redesigning library services : a manifesto / Michael Buckland ; foreword by
Michael Gorman.
Chicago : American Library Association, 1992.
x, 82 p. ; 23 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (p. 77-79) and index.

Michael would be a fun person to talk with on your question.

Brian

Brian Nielsen
Manager, Learning Technologies Group
Academic Technologies