11.0138 discussion on Humanist

Fri, 27 Jun 1997 21:18:51 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (17)
Subject: technical vs. philosophical

[2] From: Soraj Hongladarom <soraj@chulkn.car.chula.ac.th> (55)
Subject: Re: 11.0113 contributions to Humanist

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:44:29 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

In a recent offline discussion involving Humanist, one person asserted
rather strongly that our field needs a new discussion group devoted to the
technical aspects of humanities computing. One suggestion was that
Humanist itself be used for the purpose, or sharpened in its
provision of technical information, by denoting it as such, e.g. in the
subject line. Presumably such a sorting would serve those who have little
patience with the philosophical, sociological, historical and other "soft"
parts of the field; they could then go straight for their gold and delete
the dross. Wisdom, to my mind, prevailed: one acute participant observed
that humanities computing lies precisely in the intersection of technical
and non-technical, that to separate these would be to violate the spirit
if not the body of what we do.

Comments?

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>