11.0146 Theban moon is bigger?

Wed, 2 Jul 1997 19:53:23 +0100 (BST)

[The following does seem like something that a bit of play with the TLG
would turn up; perhaps not. In any case, if you know the answer to this
query, please communicate it directly to the enquirer as well as to
Humanist. --WM]

Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 08:18:33 +0100
From: Piero Meldini <rimini03@comune.rimini.it>
Subject: Call for help

Some time ago, in a book whose title I don't remember, I found a
quotation from a Greek author which sounded like this: 'Athenians made fun
of the Thebans because they asserted that their moon was bigger then the
one in Athens'. I could be wrong about the identity of the
two populations (Athenians and Thebans) but I am quite sure about the
general meaning of the sentence. I remember that the passage was
considered as one of the first examples of
rationalist reasoning. Could you help me (at your best convenienee) in
finding my lost quotation? I will be forever grateful.
Thank you in advance for your kind attention. Best regards.

Piero Meldini