11.0164 mediology, enthusiasms and school-wirings

Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:23:18 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Hartmut Krech <kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de> (34)
Subject: mediology

[2] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (45)
Subject: Re: 11.0145 mindless enthusiasms

[3] From: Judith Altreuter <altreuter@smtpgwy.mla.org> (27)
Subject: Re: wiring the schools

[4] From: "James W. Johnston" <johnston@wordcruncher.com> (12)
Subject: Re: 11.0162 wiring the schools

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:58:59 +0200
From: Hartmut Krech <kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de>

Thank you to Willard McCarty for making excerpts from Re/gis Debray's
TLS review of Dan Sperber's "Explaining Culture" available to us.
Whoever once had to move his or her private library, documentation,
and whatever accumulates around a serious scholar over time knows my
current trouble. Nevertheless I would like to share a quote from a
brief text that Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz wrote exactly 300 years ago,
as a thanks to Willard McCarty and a bow of reverence to the TLS.

"What is called a culture is the survival of a past in the present,"
Re/gis Debray writes in summary of Dan Sperber's argumentation.
Isn't that quite an outdated understanding that can well be situated
in the 19th century (Tylor), but is inappropriate in the third
millenium and quite surprisingly stands in contrast to the first
origins of the term ? Read what Leibniz had to say in 1696:

"Though many substances may have reached great perfection, those
parts that still rest asleep in the abysses of things -- because
of the infinite divisibility of the continuum -- need to be
awakened and led to something greater and better, in one word:
to a better culture. As a consequence, progress will never reach
an end." (Translated from Herbert Herring's German translation
of the original Latin text without access to my English dictionaries).

This is a memorable statement by the founder of the Academy of Sciences
of a country that today boasts of 650 000 unemployed academics. Funny
also to read such a statement when you are leaving town because your kids
do not receive adequate teaching at school, because the teachers do
not consider it necessary to invest any effort into teaching once they
have won a secure lifetime employment as "civil servants." Wiring up
schools won't help; moving places is still the solution ?

Kind regards

Dr. Hartmut Krech NEW ADDRESS:
Postfach 1430 Postfach
D-27734 Delmenhorst D-28215 Bremen
GERMANY GERMANY
Ph/Fx ++49-4221-538 36 Ph/Fx ++49-421-355 755
eMail kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de eMail kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de