11.0196 Ph.D. programmes

Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:32:25 +0100 (BST)

Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 15:07:04 -0600 (MDT)
From: Cindy Wambeam <cwambeam@NMSU.Edu>
Subject: Re: 11.0191 Ph.D. in humanities computing

> > I would like to know if any English Departments have, among their areas of
> > specialization for Ph.D. students, one for computer applications in the
> > humanities

The English Department at New Mexico State University offers a PhD in
Rhetoric & Professional Communication that is very interdisciplinary,
encouraging students to take courses outside of the department. Several
doctoral students are focusing their studies on computers & the humanities
-- some of us are looking at Internet communication, publishing on-line,
hypertext, teaching with computers, visual rhetoric. Others are doing
more with computer programming and linguistics, programming and program
documentation, or programming and hypertext. As you can probably tell, we
define our own areas of specialization. However, the department as a
whole offers much for those interested in Rhetoric & Technology/Science.

There are also two MAs, one in Rhetoric and one in Technical
Communication, that encourage the same sort of interdisciplinary studies.

You can find out more on our web site at:

http://www.nmsu.edu/~english

Other schools that I know of with similar PhD programs (in the U.S.) are
Michigan Tech and Texas Tech. A variety of Technological Universities
(like New Mexico Tech in Socorro) offer undergrad and MA programs that
emphasize the connection between technology/computing and the humanities.

Cindy

___(_) _ __ Cindy Wambeam : Oedipa, to retaliate,:
/ __| | '_ \ New Mexico State University : stopped believing:
| (__| | | | | English department : in them:
\___|_|_| |_|.......==>cwambeam@nmsu.edu<==....:.(The Crying of Lot 49):
(http://scf.nmsu.edu/~cwambeam)

Humanist Discussion Group