11.0200 printer+scanner+copier... and more

Wed, 30 Jul 1997 21:09:32 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 29 Jul 1997 15:24:18 -0600 (MDT)
From: Maurizio Oliva <Maurizio.Oliva@m.cc.utah.edu>
Subject: Re: 11.0197 printer+scanner+copier?

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
> I would appreciate any advice about purchasing an all-in-one
> printer, scanner, and copier. I have been looking at the HP OfficeJet Pro
> 1150 C, which is relatively new, and would welcome any comments on this or
> similar devices, especially those who may have used them. I am
> particularly interested in any opinions on the quality of the scanning. I
> need a device that has a flat-bed scanner rather than a sheet-fed model.
> Thanks for any help.
> Bob Evans
> bobevans@strudel.aum.edu

If your top priority among the different functions is scanning,
then the HP OfficeJet Pro 1150 C is the way to go. There is nothing
comparable around, at least for the 1,000 USD price range and the 1150 is
the only one that operates on a flat bed. About two months ago the
OfficeJet was banned in Singapore because the quality of the copies
exceeds some governmental standards.

If you have other priorities, such as message center
functionality, FAX and PC FAX capabilities (the OfficeJet Pro does lacks
them), then you should look into the Brothers 6500 or 7500. The Brothers
do not do color though.

The lowest cost solution is the HP OfficeJet 350 (gray scale).
They have the reputation to wear out fast, and they are slow as compared
to laser engines. The Canon BJ2500 is an interesting machine. It prints
color, if you are ready to wait 3-4 minutes for one page.

I personally own a Brothers, after having toyed with the idea of
purchasing an HP 1150. Its operation is simple and reliable, I strongly
recommend it.

On the other hand. I am looking into buying a digital camera for
scanning and other purposes. You can get an Olympus DL-200 for 500 USD and
it allows you to have images of acceptable quality that can later be
processed by OCR software. It fits in your pocket. It gives you several
imaging solutions for different situations. If I had the money I would go
for the Kodak DS 120, which allows higher resolution and better image
quality, but especially provides for an uncompressed image option
(avoiding lossy JPG compression).

Maurizio

Everything I said about digital cameras will be old and
unreliable in a matter of three to four months. As far as multifunction
peripherals are concerned. Things will take longer to change.

Maurizio Oliva, Director
Multimedia Language Lab
Denison University
Box M