11.0215 brief handover

Sun, 3 Aug 1997 22:14:16 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sun, 03 Aug 1997 22:09:07 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: brief handover

Dear Colleagues:

I'm off for the better part of a week, to a place about 50 miles from
Carmarthen, Wales, to stay with a friend, hike and be totally out of touch.
In the interim, Humanist is passing into the hands of my capable assistant
editor, David Gants (English, Georgia -- USA, that is).

I am reminded of one of the first bouncing-mail crises in the early days of
Humanist, when a certain computational linguist went away on vacation,
setting his mailer automatically to reply with a note saying that he would
be away, and I think specifying some exotic location. This was before
Humanist was moderated, so each reply from the mailer generated a Humanist
message, which in turn provoked another reply from the mailer, and so on.
Each message, quoting the previous one, grew longer with the repetitions.
One Humanist, after this growing message was automatically repeated several
times, complained that the fellow really didn't need to boast so much! But a
little boasting adds a kind of primitive tang to our rarified seminar, don't
you think?

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Humanist Discussion Group