11.0281 publish & perish long-term projects?

Mon, 22 Sep 1997 07:36:58 +0100 (BST)

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 08:32:34 +0200
From: "Espen S. Ore" <Espen.Ore@hd.uib.no>
Subject: Re: 11.0266 hiatus, with explanation & rewards

At 21:42 +0100 17-09-97,Willard McCarty wrote:
>Two remarks from Busa's talk stick in my head. The first was that the human
>being and the computer form a single entity, the second that "we know how to
>speak, but we do not know how we speak". In other words, hazarding a
>paraphrase, in communion with ourselves through the machine we have invented
>we discover how we think. Could there be any activity as exciting as this?

Another thing that stuck in my head was when he said (more or less in these
words): "In the days of publish or perish, does this mean that there is no
value in a project with a 10 years - 20 years - 30 years horizon?"
Afterwards in conversation he expanded upon this: "Short time projects are
like stones, long time projects like jewels - and there are few jewels and
many stones in this world."

espen

(and thank you very much to all the organisers!)

Humanist Discussion Group