11.0295 hardware and software

Thu, 25 Sep 1997 23:33:01 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: James O'Donnell <jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu> (15)
Subject: laus machinae

[2] From: Maurizio Oliva <oliva@denison.edu> (18)
Subject: Proprietary Vs. Open Systems (comment, Edupage)

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 19:31:10 -0400 (EDT)
From: James O'Donnell <jod@ccat.sas.upenn.edu>

I went to print a letter of recommendation for a colleague and suddenly
realized that the printer for which I was casually reaching will in a few
weeks be ten years old. Easily the most cost-effective investment in
electronic technology I've made since the table model radio at Radio Shack
for $50 in 1968 (it still works too). My printer was the first laser
printer I thought I could afford. 51,000 pages later it has never given
me a moment's mechanical trouble, and is still remarkably effective (at 8
ppm) for my personal needs. To be sure I have a fancier one on the
network at the office that I can send stuff to, but this printer got its
start when my computer had DOS 3.0, WordPerfect 4.2, and 512K of memory,
and now works equally cheerfully with NT 4.0, WP-Win 6.1, and 32M of
memory, and I cannot imagine why I would ever need a new one. Amazing.

Jim O'Donnell
Classics, U. of Penn.