11.0302 impermanence & mortal touch

Fri, 26 Sep 1997 20:58:46 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Francois Crompton-Roberts <F.Crompton- (22)
Roberts@qmw.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 11.0297 impermanence (sub specie aeternitatis)

[2] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (55)
Subject: Faces to fasces

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 15:40:20 GMT0BST
From: Francois Crompton-Roberts <F.Crompton-Roberts@qmw.ac.uk>

> When I entered the profession in the mid-50s, we held scholarly
> ideals like those of Pat's monks and indeed Pat herself, who
> seeks to write "sub specie aeternitas" and feels she has fallen
> short if she doesn't. Back in the '50s, we thought we were
> making permanent "contributions to knowledge," as our
> dissertation instructions asked us to do. Increasingly, I think
> we are no longer concerned with the long term but with the now,
> the new, the immediate, recognizing that what we do will be here
> today and gone tomorrow and feeling no discomfort about that.

For me, this thread evokes Paul Valery's "Nous autres civilisations,
nous savons maintenant que nous sommes mortelles". (We civilisations
now know that we too are mortal). It seems as if it took a generation
of more for the consequences of this relisation to filter through to
the consciousness of academics...

Francois C-R

PS Thanks to Steve Walton <SWALTON@nh1.nh.pdx.edu>, Valentine
Drevet-Benatti <vdb@montesquieu.u-bordeaux.fr> and Jean-Pierre Piriou