11.0305 searching mss.

Tue, 30 Sep 1997 08:46:13 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Espen S. Ore" <Espen.Ore@hd.uib.no> (13)
Subject: Re: 11.0298 searching mss.?

[2] From: Kevin Kiernan <kiernan@beowulf.engl.uky.edu> (32)
Subject: searching manuscripts

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 22:45:17 +0200
From: "Espen S. Ore" <Espen.Ore@hd.uib.no>

At 23:34 +0100 25-09-97, Humanist Discussion Group (Willard) wrote:
>On behalf of a colleague I would like to collect any information about
>current work in making manuscript images searchable by computer. I recall
>someone describing how it was possible to calculate with fair degree of
>accuracy the location on a mss. page-image of a specified word. I don't mean
>searching a transcription, then displaying the mss. page for the
>corresponding form to be located by eye, but a technique that would fetch up
>the page and point to the location.

At the ALLC-ACH '94 in Paris Andrea Bozzi from Pisa gave a paper where he
showed how this could be done for a certain type of manuscript (reference
works if my memory doesn't let me down completely). Not all the abstracts
from that conference are completely available, but Andrea Bozzi told me
that the paper was in fact published in a journal somewhere.

espen