11.0347 journey into TeX/LaTeX!?

Mon, 20 Oct 1997 22:00:09 +0100 (BST)

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 01:00:05 +0900 (JST)
From: Michael Guest <guest@ia.inf.shizuoka.ac.jp>
Subject: LaTeX

I'm about to set off on a journey into Tex / LaTeX use. I've downloaded all
the files and read a printed manual...what a fantasy-land of learning
experience for me: all those "trivial" typesetting tasks that I've set
aside for wo/man or machine in the past!

I understand now the value of a human typesetter! Such terribly significant
bits and pieces I'd thougt wordprocessors must handle (ha!). To what extent
does Tex / LaTeX replace a human typesetter in practice? Are there any bogs
or whatever they are of despair in store? I earnestly seek your exeriences
of both good and evil in this respect.

One further question: where does the question of copyright lie in relation
to the overall _style_ one uses in producing a journal ("style" defined in
the broadest sense)?

Forgive me if I've missed a thread on this.

Michael Guest
guest@ia.inf.shizuoka.ac.jp

Humanist Discussion Group