11.0371 intelligent agents

Tue, 28 Oct 1997 18:26:56 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 14:12:03 -0000
From: "S.A.Rae" <S.A.Rae@open.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: 11.0344 intelligent agents

> Willard,
wandering around your 'Intelligent Agents' query I came across
the IDA'97 - Intelligent Data Analysis '97 conference (see web page:
http://www.dcs.bbk.ac.uk/ida97/) ... I quote from their web page:

"The focus of IDA-97 will be "Reasoning About Data". We are
interested in intelligent systems that reason about how to analyze data,
perhaps as human analysts do. Analysts often bring exogenous knowledge
about data to bear when they decide how to analyze it; they use
intermediate results to decide how to proceed; they reason about how
much analysis the data will actually support; they consider which
methods will be most informative; they decide which aspects of a model
are most uncertain and focus attention there; they sometimes have the
luxury of collecting more data, and plan to do so efficiently. In short,
there is a strategic aspect to data analysis, beyond the tactical choice
of this or that test, visualisation or variable."

which echos, at least in part I feel, your original posting.

Cheers
Simon

> * Simon A Rae
> * ACS, The Open University, Walton Hall, MILTON KEYNES. MK7 6AA
> * OU's WWW home page - http://www.open.ac.uk/

Humanist Discussion Group