11.0456 gleanings from Pacific Asia

Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:52:52 +0000 (GMT)

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:35:37 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: gleanings from Pacific Asia

Dear Colleagues:

By one of life's coincidences a fellow Humanist I met recently in the
virtual way, Steven McCarty, has the same surname and much of the same kind
of experience in moving to a new culture. In his case, the move (to Japan)
was rather more radical than mine, but in any case the coincidence was
sufficient to start a conversation about perspectives on humanities
computing from Pacific Asia. We agreed that Humanist would benefit from
occasional if not regular contributions on the topic, and he agreed to make
them. So we can all look forward to these "gleanings", as I have called my
own regular commentary on items from local sources.

Our informal agreement certainly does not exclude others in Pacific Asia
from commenting. In fact I would hope that members from various parts of the
world would be moved to undertake similar projects. Since computing has
begun to surface as regular news in the daily press here and in many other
places, we have been given a significant opportunity to extend our scope if
not influence :-)... In places where the infrastructure has not developed to
the point that computing can become a public topic, I would think that
observations would be equally welcome and perhaps more than equally
valuable. So, please write to me if you are tempted by the prospect.

Steven McCarty is full Professor, General Education, Kagawa Junior College,
Japan; staff member of several electronic journals; founder of the East-West
Discourse List (Hawaii); and among many other things, Web developer in
Japanese and English, including the Bilingualism and Japanology
Intersection, an Asian Studies WWW Virtual Library 4-star site
<http://www.kagawa-jc.ac.jp/~steve_mc/epublist.html>.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Humanist Discussion Group