11.0466 perl? imaginary languages? London? teaching?

Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:08:42 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: halsted@h-net.msu.edu (67)
Subject: Re: 11.0461 C/C++ programming? literary treatment?

[2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (14)
Subject: imaginary languages

[3] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (15)
Subject: London architecture?

[4] From: Anita Jawary <anitaj@cs.monash.edu.au> (23)
Subject: Comparative teaching exercise

Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 20:22:02 +0000
From: halsted@h-net.msu.edu

I'd also like to wonder whether anybody has written a similar volume
for Perl. If so, I haven't seen it. Seems rather a natural, though.

Dave Halsted
H-Net MSU

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 97 09:30:22 CST
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

I have a friend who is writing on the "imaginry language" of Hildegard von
Bingen. We were talking about glossolalia and xenoglossia, and I mentioned
to him that he ought perhaps to seek generality in his study by looking at
other cases of imaginary languages. I could come up only with a few cases:
Swift, of course, with his "little language." More, Utopia, caused me to
look into James Knowlson, _Universal Language Schemes in England and France_,
1600-1800 (Toronto, 1975), with his interesting Chapter 4: "Ideal Languages
in the Imaginary Voyage." He mentions, of course, Rabelais and George
Psalmanaaszaar's Formosan Language, familiar to all of us. I remember a
recent case (about 10 years or so ago), but I do not really remember it at
all; I believe it concerned two young women. Does anybody out there have
anything handy on imaginary languages?
!
Jim Marchand.