11.0467 WWW curiosities, uses and happenings

Tue, 16 Dec 1997 09:11:11 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Maurizio Oliva <oliva@denison.edu> (16)
Subject: DEC Internet translation engine (funny)

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (40)
Subject: keep them profs off the surfboards

[3] From: Steve McCarty <steve_mc@ws0.kagawa-jc.ac.jp> (33)
Subject: Korea-Japan-U.S. Website copying case closed

[4] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (24)
Subject: knowing not AltaVista

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 12:14:42 -0500 (EST)
From: Maurizio Oliva <oliva@denison.edu>

http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate?

Languages covered:

English to French
English to German
English to Italian
English to Portuguese
English to Spanish
French to English
German to English
Italian to English
Spanish to English
Portuguese to English

In English:
a lot goes the gatta one to the lardo that us it leaves the
zampino

In Italiano (Original text):
tanto va la gatta al lardo che ci lascia lo zampino

Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:38:09 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

The following, quoted from
<http://ivory.trentu.ca/www/cl/cac/caclist/cc5.html> with thanks, I suspect
depicts a not entirely unusual attitude on the part of dinosaurian
moralists. The one flash of darkness that it omits is the suspicion, which I
have heard voiced, that all these feckless scholars are doing in any case is
lookin' at dirty pictures. I am reminded of something Blake said about the
secret desires of the self-righteous. If not taking humanities computing
scholarship seriously is Scylla, then here we meet Charybdis.

>From: IN%"[......]@wayne.edu" 10-NOV-1997 15:52:02.34
>To: IN%"KKINZL@TrentU.ca" "Konrad H. Kinzl"
>CC:
>Subj: RE: AAH directory
>
>Dear Konrad:
>
>[.........................]
>
>The email connection is moot, however, as WSU's [Wayne State University's]
>president has restricted faculty access to email to a maximum of 60
>minutes in a 24 hr period (the students actually get 2 hrs) on the grounds
>that faculty are wasting valuable time surfin' the web. If they exceed 60
>minutes their connections are severed for a 24 hr period. So, the
>consequence is that faculty here may well have difficulty in reading and
>responding to their email in a timely manner.
>
>Sorry, but I see that my time is just about up.
>KONRAD H. KINZL KKINZL@TRENTU.CA
>Department of Ancient History and Classics, Trent University
>Peterborough ON K9J 7B8, Canada. TEL. (705) 748-1814; FAX 748-1721
>Home: 512 Homewood Ave., Peterborough ON K9H 2N3, Canada TEL.(705) 743-8752

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>