11.0509 computers, idols, cogent approaches

Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:31:47 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@VMA.SMSU.EDU> (110)
Subject: "The Computer and the Virgin"?

[2] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (51)
Subject: re Secularity vs Secularism

[3] From: Jascha Kessler <jkessler@ucla.edu> (43)
Subject: my PS

Date: Mon, 12 Jan 98 09:40:47 CST
From: Charles Ess <DRU001D@VMA.SMSU.EDU>

Willard:
With apologies to Henry Adams...

I was struck by David Gants' reaction to the apparent
indifference, if not outright move away from things
technological among his colleagues at the MLA - and the
resulting recognition that we are perhaps more effective
evangelists (to stay with his - appropriate! - religious metaphors)
when we move from the John the Baptist model (demanding
repentence for our technological incompetence and a marked
jump into a (re)new(ed) relationship with the transcendent) to a
more reformer's model - one which recognizes that personal
and cultural shifts usually come about only gradually, especially
if they depend upon the personal choices and habits of
individuals.
I was struck for two reasons: one, my experiences tell me that
he's exactly right. As but one example: some two years ago, I
began working with colleagues in philosophy to set up on-line
dialogues in applied ethics, using a sophisticated web-based
conferencing software. (This was not only an excuse to play with
some new toys: there's a long line of research in computer-
mediated communication which suggests that CMC
environments may offer certain advantages to certain types of
communication: we hoped to exploit these advantages, coupled
with some theoretical commitments to discourse ethics which in
turn seemed well suited to the CMC environment.) I assumed,
as a minor figure in a good, but obscure regional university in
the Midwest of the U.S. (whose geography seems utterly baffling
to even colleagues in theStates) - if _I_ have access to these tools,
surely most others must as well.
Wrong. Of the 20 or so participants we hoped to invite to each
forum, only 60% even had identifiable e-mail addresses. Getting
those who agreed to participate in the forum - itself a matter of
moving well beyond the traditional academic cultures of what
counts as scholarship, what gets rewarded, etc. - to make effective
use of the conferencing software was still more challenging.
Even academics at prestigious universities sometimes had
_abysmal_ network connections and environments (one scholar
had to go a student lab for web access - not the most conducive
environment for careful reflection); and for those with relatively
good access - the "cognitive overhead" of learning a new
software interface was costly and demanding. It took about 45
minutes for some - and as one colleague noted, when we're in
the middle of finals week, 45 minutes is a lot of time.
Despite all these problems, however, at least two of the dialogues
succeeded in achieving important, even remarkable
philosophical consensus. (This material is archived at
<http://caae.phil.cmu.edu/CAAE/Home/Forum/ethics.html>
for those interested in seeing the details.)
The upshot of this experience for me was (a) to confirm my
strong sense that the new technologies do indeed offer new, very
promising potentials -if (b) these potentials are incorporated in
ways that acknowledge the legitimacy of, and seek to incorporate
the prevailing cultural preferences and personal habits of those
we are asking to take up these technologies. That is - the
revolutionary model (one fostered strongly by especially the
postmodern analyses of electronic culture as overturning all of
modernity as print-based, linear, etc.), however sound and
suggestive these analyses may be, is not generally appealing or
effective with most of our colleagues. This experience moved
me towards projects that seek to incorporate the new
technologies in ways more seamless with existing academic
patterns and preferences - e.g., by using a web site to provide
conference participants with copies of papers well ahead of the
face-to-face conference itself, in order to minimize presentation
time and maximize discussion time, so as to complement,
but_not_ to replace the traditional activities of presenting,
discussing, and print publishing. More ambitiously, as Willard
knows, several of us are working on a conference (dedicated, in
fact, to "Cultural Attitudes towards Technology and
Communication") which seeks to take advantage of the Internet
and the Web, both in terms of the e-mails needed to announce,
organize, etc., and in terms of the Web as a publishing venue for
at least some of the conference papers - all of which is further
tied to a book manuscript. Wrapping all of this up in the
traditional, print-based package of a book provides scholars who
prefer (for both personal and professional reasons) the familiar
medium of print with a solid reward for their participation - as it
also provides a way of distributing our results to colleagues who,
for reasons of either habit and/or infrastructure, will not access
the electronic publication.

Two: a few weeks ago I visited my brother's "shop" - a computer
facility which holds about 1,500 gigabytes of data used on ca. 400
engineering workstations. It looked very much like something
out of Star Trek or some other supposedly futuristic vision of
our technological trajectories. My nuanced and critical
sensibilities regarding computer technologies were immediately
replaced by a sense of amazement - something like Henry
Adams' encounter with the electric dynamo at the Great
Exposition of 1900 (an encounter, many Humanist readers will
know, which led to an extensive reflection on the powers of the
new technologies vis-a-vis sacred powers - specifically, those of
the Virgin as reflected in Medieval worship and architecture).
I have very little idea just what humanists could do with such
technologies - perhaps, ultimately, not very much at all. But I
remain deeply impressed by this power - and thus still carry
around the inarticulate and perhaps simply mistaken conviction
that all of this must hold some great potential for humanities
scholarship, a potential we have scarcely tapped. This sensibility,
of course, spins us off in the direction of wild-eyed revolution -
the direction David Gants has suggested will not work.

In sum, I'm betwixt and between, as often describes those in the
liminal domain - no longer in ordinary reality, but not
permanently removed from it either. Perhaps this is a
productive state to visit - especially if, following David Gants'
suggestion, we should be more reformers than revolutionaries.

In any case, best wishes to Humanist for the new year!

Cheers,
Charles Ess
Philosophy and Religion
Drury College