11.0604 new on WWW & other announcements

Mon, 23 Feb 1998 21:53:51 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich@hawaii.edu> (37)
Subject: JAVA SPEECH API

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (21)
Subject: neologisms

[3] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (120)
Subject: MUSEUMS & THE WEB: Two Announcements

[4] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (78)
Subject: George Washington Papers & Spanish-American War Movies
on American Memory Site

[5] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (223)
Subject: Digital Library Initiative-Phase 2 Welcomes Humanities
Projects

[6] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (169)
Subject: COPYRIGHT UPDATES

Date: Sun, 22 Feb 1998 11:53:36 -1000
From: "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich@hawaii.edu>

[ Part 2: "Included Message" ]

From: "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich@hawaii.edu>

The following will be of interest to all those working in speech and/or
NLP. You may have heard that Sun is about to release its Javaspeech
API that can use all the major speech rec programs, but you may not be
aware that there are already test versions available at their web site,
and that they have estpablished an email discussion group for those who
are interested.

WEB SITE
http://www.javasoft.com/marketing/collateral/speech.html

EMAIL LIST
address:
javamedia-request@sun.com
message:
subscribe javaspeech-interest
or
subscribe javaspeech-announce

Here is a brief quote from that site:
>Speech interfaces will give Java developers the opportunity to implement
>distinct and engaging personalities for their applications and to differentiate
>their products. Java developers will be able to access the capabilities of
>state-of-the-art speech technology from leading speech vendors. With a
>standard API for speech, users will be able to choose the speech
>products which best meet their needs and their budget.
>
>The Java Speech API will leverage the audio capabilities of other Java
>Media APIs, and when combined with the Java Telephony API, will
>support advanced computer telephony integration. On desktop systems,
>the widespread availability of audio input/output capabilities, the increasing
>power of CPUs and the growing availability of telephony devices all
>enable the use of speech technology.

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D.
President and CEO
Ergo Linguistic Technologies