11.0682 conferences

Tue, 7 Apr 1998 20:40:50 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Domenico Fiormonte <mc9809@mclink.it> (187)
Subject: Literature, Philology and Computers

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (74)
Subject: FroCoS'98: Second Call for Papers

[3] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (143)
Subject: CFP NLP+IA'98/ TALN'98 Moncton, Canada

[4] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (105)
Subject: Reading Early Modern Women: Symposium at Brock
University, Canada

[5] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (155)
Subject: TAG+ WORKSHOP (final call for papers)

[6] From: "S.A.Rae" <S.A.Rae@open.ac.uk> (61)
Subject: FW: CFP - Classical Studies ... Int. Conf. on
Theatre: Ancient and Modern

Date: Sat, 4 Apr 1998 14:38:35 +0000
From: Domenico Fiormonte <mc9809@mclink.it>

UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH
DEPARTMENT of ITALIAN

LITERATURE, PHILOLOGY AND COMPUTERS:
An international seminar

7-9 September 1998

The seminar was made possible thanks to a grant from the Faculty of
Arts for the year 1997-98 and it is organised in association with: The
Computer & Writing Association, University of Aberdeen; CTI Textual
Studies, University of Oxford; CRILet, Center for Literary Computing,
University of Rome; BOLLETTINO '900, Dept. of Italian, University of
Bologna.

The seminar, conducted in English, aims to bring together a
heterogeneous but significant group of scholars in order to promote
lively and informal discussion on the future of philology, writing,
and literary analysis in the digital support era. The conference will
be interdisciplinary and contributions are welcome from the fields of
literature, philology, writing and composition, linguistics, cognitive
science, psychology, etc.

1. Themes of the seminar and keynote speakers
2. Call for papers
3. List of contributors (provisional)
4. Registration Form

1. THEMES

*Encoding of linear and non-linear document sources*: Theory and
practice. Text encoding has been the central problem of humanities
computing for years. However, today the question is not only how to
achieve a standard for representing texts, but also how to structure
(concept mapping) and encode different sources of information (images,
sounds, etc.). What happens to structured information once it has left
its paper medium and become electronic? What does this process imply
for transmission of information? In this session, apart from
theoretical papers, there will be discussions on present conventions
(such as SGML, HTML, etc.) and future developments.

*Computers and Philology*: digital realisation of critical editions
and the possibilities of the WWWeb. New definitions of the concept of
the editio critica or abandonment of the concept of authorship? The
epistemology of text and the problems of text transmission will be at
the heart of this session, which will evaluate current projects and
examine the prospects opened up by the Internet.

*Text analysis and virtual data-banks*: new definitions of textual
criticism in the light of literary computing. How information
technology modifies the concept of source and interpretation,
challenging traditional historical disciplines. Presentation of
projects and applications in progress.

*Hype or Hypertext?* Critical evaluation of the theoretical
underpinning of the North American school (George Landow, Michael
Joyce, Ted Nelson, etc.), and assessment of the place of hypertext
theory in the history of books and writing. Review of the more
promising products available on line, and investigation of the
educational possibilities of hypertext in the study of languages and
literature.

*Keynote speakers* include: Lou Burnard (Oxford University);
Giuseppe Gigliozzi (University of Rome); Willard
McCarty (King's College, London); Francisco Marcos Marin (Universidad
Autonoma, Madrid); David Robey (University of Reading); Antonio
Zampolli (CNR, Pisa).

2. CALL FOR PAPERS

*IMPORTANT NOTICE*: due to time constraints, and to preserve the
creative dynamics of the seminar, the number of presentations will be
limited to 15.

*Contributions* should be 20 minutes in length and proposals in the
form of a 500 word abstract (preferably written in HTML) should be
submitted via e-mail by June 30th to: itadfp@srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk or
mc9809@mclink.it. All proposals will be reviewed, and authors of
accepted papers will be notified by July 15th. Abstracts of papers
will be published on the seminar web site.

For more information contact:

*Computers, Literature and Philology*
Department of Italian
The University of Edinburgh
David Hume Tower, George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9JX
Tel: 0131 650 3646
Fax: 0131 650 6536

Check the conference web site regularly
<http://www.ed.ac.uk/~esit04/italian.htm>
for updated information on the
seminar programme, venue and timetable, or send enquiries by email to:
Anna.Middleton@ed.ac.uk or the e-mail addresses mentioned above

*Conference fees*: £35 per person (academic) / £25 Associated
Institution / £15 (post-graduate).
This includes a buffet lunch on 8 September.

*Venue* (provisional): Edinburgh University, Room G10,
Adam Ferguson Building, George Square.

*Accommodation*: A limited number of single rooms are available at
Pollock Halls of Residence, University of Edinburgh, for 7, 8
September at £24 (20.35 + VAT) per night. Early booking advisable:
contact Dr Anna Middleton at Anna.Middleton@ed.ac.uk

3. CONTRIBUTORS (provisional)

Lou Burnard is a leading figure in the Computers and Humanities field,
and among the founders of the TEI (Text Encoding Initiative), the most
important project for the development of guidelines for the
preparation and interchange of electronic texts. He is currently
Manager of the Humanities Computing Unit at Oxford University
Computing Services.

Giuseppe Gigliozzi, University of Rome "La Sapienza", Department of
Linguistic & Literary Sciences. Founding director of CRILet, a
research centre for literary computing at University of Rome. Dr
Giuseppe Gigliozzi's scholarship centres on narrativity, text analysis
and encoding, and literary theory. He has published a number of
book-length contributions in the field of computers and the
humanities.

Francisco Marcos Marin, full professor of Linguistics, Universidad
Autonoma de Madrid, Departamento de Lingüística General, has been
working in the field of Computers and the Humanities since 1971. He is
the editor of Admyter, a series of advanced Cd-Roms of digitalised
manuscripts and incunabula of medieval Spanish literature (1992, 1993,
1998).

Willard McCarty, Senior lecturer at the King's College Centre for
Computing in the Humanities (CCH), editor of Humanist, and
Vice-President of the Association for Computers and the Humanities is
among the pioneers of literary computing. Among his various digital
projects there is the Analytical Onomasticon, "a printed and
electronic reference work to all devices of language by which persons
are named in the Metamorphoses of Ovid."

Federico Pellizzi, University of Bologna, Dept. of Italian. General
editor of Bollettino '900, one of the main electronic journals dealing
with Italian contemporary culture and literature, which has editorial
input from across Europe. Federico Pellizzi has recently organised an
international computers and literature conference at the Universita'
di Bologna (October 1996) which attracted participation from the likes
of George Landow and Ezio Raimondi.

Mario Ricciardi, University of Turin, full professor of Italian
Literature, Dept. of Communication Studies. Director of the programme
on Communication within the Arts Faculty of Turin University and
comissioning editor for the main imprints which publish academic books
on computing and literature (Bollati-Boringhieri, Franco Angeli, etc),
Mario Ricciardi is an influential theorist on computer literacy and
computer-assisted literary analysis.

Massimo Riva, Brown University, Director of
Graduate Studies of the Italian Studies Department and editor of the
Decameron Web works closely with the George Landow's Hypertext Group
at Brown University. He is also among the first organisers of a
Web-based Italian literature course.

David Robey is currently Professor of Italian at Manchester
University and moves in September to the University of Reading.
He has worked on literary theory and Renaissance Humanism, and is now
engaged in a computer-based analysis of the structure of sounds in the
Divine Comedy. He was Chair of the Verse Work Group of the Text
Encoding Initiative.

Antonio Zampolli, University of Pisa, full professor of Computational
Linguistics, director of the Instituto di Linguistica Computazionale,
CNR, Pisa. Antonio Zampolli has been working in the field of
Computational Linguistics since 1967 and is responsible for a number
of European projects related to Humanities and Computing.

Claire Warwick works for the Humanities Computing Unit at Oxford, on
the British National Corpus, and for the Faculty of English on high
level IT support for teaching and research in English literature and
language. Although her doctoral work was on Seventeenth Century
poetry, she is now increasingly interested in theories of electronic
textuality and the way in which it may effect scholarly editions, and
future research and teaching in English studies.

4. REGISTRATION FORM

"Literature, Philology and Computers: An International Seminar"

UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH, 7-9 SEPTEMBER 1998

I should like to attend the above seminar on September 7-9 1998
at the University of Edinburgh.

Name....................................................

Work address.........................................

Address for
Correspondence...................................................

Tel. No. (Work)

Tel No. (Home)

Registration £35/ Associated Institutions £25 / Student £15

..... I enclose a cheque/money order for £35

...... Associated Institutions (£25)

...... Student (£15)

...... I require accommodation for Monday 7 September and Tuesday
8 September and enclose a cheque/money order for forty eight pounds.

(Please tick as appropriate)

Please send by August 30 1998 completed form and cheque/money order
made out to the Department of Italian, University of Edinburgh to:
Anna Middleton, Department of Italian, University of Edinburgh, DHT,
George Square EH8 9JX
Domenico Fiormonte
University of Edinburgh, Dept. of Italian
DHT, George Square
EH8 9XJ -- United Kingdom

Tel. 44+131-6503646 Fax: 44+131-6506536
E-mail: itadfp@srv0.arts.ed.ac.uk