11.0701 scholarly edns online; Internet publishing?

Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:59:45 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Patricia Kay Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us> (3)
Subject: scholarly editions online

[2] From: "Paul [not \"Brian\"] Brians" (17)
<brians@mail.wsu.edu>
Subject: "Classic" articles on Internet publishing & research?

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 16:23:11 -0500
From: Patricia Kay Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us>

Is anybody old enough to remember Todd Bender's (U of Wisconsin) ideas
about electronic editions (ca. early 1970s)? It wasn't called hypertext
then, but that's what it was.
Pat Galloway

Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:53:14 -0700
From: "Paul [not \"Brian\"] Brians" <brians@mail.wsu.edu>

I am reshaping a talk I gave last year to our department on my experiences
doing research on The Satanic Verses and publishing the results on the Web,
to send it out for possible (paper) publication.

A quick look in various indexes didn't turn up anything useful I could cite
as "earlier research" but I'm sure there must be plenty.

Are there classic or important articles on the subject of doing
Internet/Web-based research and publication (as distinguished from
conventional publication) that I should look at and cite in order not to
look like an ignoramus? I don't mean the typical magazine article lamenting
that lots of Web publications are trash and evade the fine mesh of peer
review--something more thoughtful and serious.

I do a lot of Web work, but I don't follow the theory of it very closely.

Paul Brians, Department of English,Washington State University
Pullman, WA 99164-5020
brians@wsu.edu
http://www.wsu.edu/~brians

Humanist Discussion Group