12.0010 new on WWW: essay, Litpage

Sun, 10 May 1998 22:28:58 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (24)
Subject: humanities computing

[2] From: Bob Evans <bobevans@strudel.aum.edu> (8)
Subject: Litpage

Date: Sun, 10 May 1998 22:18:46 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>

Dear Colleagues:

As many of you will know, I've been pursuing basic questions relating to our
common field for some time now, drawing as best I could on my own research
and teaching, as well as the work of others, to attempt a definition of
"humanities computing". The latest manifestation is an essay, "What is
humanities computing? Toward a definition of the field", which is available
online, at

<http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/essays/what/>.

As I explain in a note, the purpose of my putting such an inchoate piece
into circulation is to provoke thought and discussion about what we all are
up to. I'm convinced that occasional introspection is good for one's
professional and mental health. Of course the most important thing, as Allen
Renear remarked recently, is simply to do good work (which is what I hope we
all are in fact doing), but that's not enough in such a young and poorly
represented field. We need to find the commonalities, the common shape
throughout the various corners of our practice. That's what I'm attempting
in this essay and would greatly appreciate your help in getting it right.

Thanks.

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>