12.0030 creative work in the new media

Mon, 18 May 1998 23:39:24 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sat, 16 May 1998 06:59:54 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: creative work in new media

Matt Kirschenbaum, in a note elsewhere in this edition of Humanist,
observes that there has been very little discussion of creative work in
the new media and the digital arts. It seems to me that he is quite right,
that we have a great deal in common with digitally engaged artists. I
would suppose that the problem is the old exclusionary division which, for
example, makes many art history departments not particularly congenial to
artists, and art schools not a place where art historians tend to be. (I
recall a story told by an old professor of mine, about the art history
students at some prestigious U.S. institution where the painting studio
was down the hallway from the seminar room, who complained about the
distracting smell of linseed oil.) Apart from this division (if I am right
about it), I see no reason why a closer association with said artists
would not be mutually beneficial. How do we make the connection?

Dr. Willard McCarty, Senior Lecturer, King's College London
voice: +44 (0)171 873 2784 fax: +44 (0)171 873 5801
e-mail: Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk
<http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/>

Humanist Discussion Group