12.0045 new on WWW: EDSITEment; bibliography

Tue, 26 May 1998 20:12:59 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (36)
Subject: EDSITEment

[2] From: Toby Burrows <tburrows@library.uwa.edu.au> (27)
Subject: Books on the Social Aspects of Computing, 1996-1997

Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 16:10:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>

>> From: "Caroline Eisner" <ceisner@cgcs.org>

In case you haven't heard about EDSITEment (http://edsitement.neh.gov), it
is a web site created and sponsored by the National Endowment for the
Humanities, the Council of the Great City Schools, MCI Communications
Corp., and the National Trust for the Humanities, and serves as a gateway
to what we consider to be the best humanities-related educational content
on the Internet.

Last spring we asked you to nominate web sites to be showcased on
EDSITEment (http://edsitement.neh.gov) and, out of the more than 300 sites
you suggested, our Peer Review and Blue-Ribbon Panels, using the national
merit review process developed by NEH, selected 20 sites to be included on
EDSITEment. This spring we repeated the process and, by June 1, we will
announce 29 new sites to be showcased on EDSITEment.

This spring we also created a new listserv for EDSITEment users. If you
want to become a member of the EDSITEment listserv, send me a message from
the "Talk to Us" feature on EDSITEment (http://edsitement.neh.gov).

For those of you new to EDSITEment, the website includes:
Top Humanities Web Sites: a user-friendly site offering one-top shopping
for quality materials on humanities related topics. Each link listed on
EDSITEment has been screened by a rigorous academic review process and
endorsed by a distinguished panel of educators and parents.

Learning Guides: Practical lesson plans that draw directly on the resources
available through EDSITEment, with step-by-step directions to help teachers
implement each learning activity or use it as a template to create their
own lesson plans.

Take-Home Activities: Specially-designed activities that allow students and
their parents to work together on projects that bring EDSITEment into
students' homes. Activities can be completed with or without home access
to the Internet.

If you have any comments or would like to join our mailing list to receive
hardcopy lesson plans and any updates, use the "Talk to Us" function on
EDSITEment (http://edsitement.neh.gov).

Caroline Eisner
Program Director
EDSITEment