12.0091 conference and calls

Wed, 24 Jun 1998 20:06:03 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (125)
Subject: Report: Internet Summit: Content for Children and
Teens

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (198)
Subject: The Challenge of Image Retrieval: CALL FOR PAPERS

[3] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (48)
Subject: Langues : Appel ` communication - Call for papers

Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 17:38:51 -0500
From: David Green <david@ninch.org>
Subject: Report: Internet Summit: Content for Children and Teens

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
June 23, 1998

INTERNET SUMMIT (JUNE 11-12)
FOCUS ON DIGITAL MEDIA CONTENT FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS
VIDEO/AUDIO ARCHIVES AVAILABLE
<http://whis.ec2.edu/webcast.html>

A conference grandly titled "The Internet Summit: Focus on Digital Media
Content for Children and Teens" was held June 11-12 in Los Angeles. The
purpose of the conference was to "identify concrete action by private
companies, nonprofit organizations, educators, government, and kids that
will enrich online learning for America's children and teens.

Vice President Gore, according to the report below by the American Library
Association, "encouraged participants to build more public spaces on the
Internet for children such as digital parks, libraries and museums. The
Vice President wishes for students to have 'access to every book ever
printed, every painting ever painted, and every symphony ever composed.'"

The event was sponsored by the Egg Company 2 (EC2, the Annenberg Incubator
Project at the University of Southern California), and the National
Telecommunications and Information Administration at the U.S. Department of
Commerce.

The web site has video and audio archives of ten presentations and panels,
including that of the Vice President, delivered via satellite.

David Green
============

>Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:47:57 -0400
>From: ALAWASH E-MAIL (ALAWASH E-MAIL) <ALAWASH@alawash.org>
>To: ALA Washington Office Newsline <ala-wo@ala1.ala.org>

>ALAWON Volume 7, Number 74
>ISSN 1069-7799 June 23, 1998
>
> American Library Association Washington Office Newsline
>
>>>SNIP
>
>DIGITAL MEDIA CONTENT FOR CHILDREN AND TEENS INTERNET SUMMIT HELD
>JUNE 11-12
>
>More than 350 educators, commercial content providers and public
>officials gathered June 11-12 in Los Angeles, CA to discuss ways
>to stimulate development of quality content on the Internet for
>children and teens. The Digital Media Content for Children and
>Teens Internet Summit was hosted by Egg Company 2 (EC2, the
>Annenberg Incubator Project at the University of Southern
>California), and the National Telecommunications and Information
>Administration at the U.S. Department of Commerce.
>
>Keynote speaker Vice President Al Gore said, "The e-rate is
>central to the future of American education," and that the
>Federal Communications Commission should embrace the e-rate
>program. "We will fight any attempt by Congress to end the e-rate."
>
>Gore cited the Internet as an essential tool for education. He
>stressed that 10 million children are already online and that
>statistics have demonstrated that students in classrooms with
>computers perform 30 percent better academically than students
>without computers.
>
>He encouraged participants to build more public spaces on the
>Internet for children such as digital parks, libraries and
>museums. The Vice President wishes for students to have "access
>to every book ever printed, every painting ever painted, and
>every symphony ever composed."
>
>Other speakers included Jake Winebaum, president of Disney
>Online, who addressed the issue of online content for children
>and what his organization was doing to provide quality content.
>Larry Irving, assistant secretary for communications and
>information at NTIA, made opening remarks about the importance of
>developing quality content for children and the Administration's
>interest in this issue.
>
>ALA and ICONnect Committee member Marsha Korobkin, audio-visual
>services coordinator for San Diego City Schools, participated in
>the panel, "Tales from the Classroom: Educators Identify Best
>Practices." Korobkin discussed the ICONnect program as well as
>other ALA programs for children and the importance of expanding
>students' information literacy skills.
>
>The ALA Office for Information Technology Policy (OITP) provided
>demonstrations of ALA's Web sites for kids, teens and parents for
>conference attendees. "This was an opportunity to continue ALA's
>involvement in the White House Internet Summit and show the kinds
>of things librarians are doing to build the information
>superhighway," said Andrew Magpantay, director of OITP.

> [...]

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
www-ninch.cni.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>.