12.0101 Bacon's Advancement of Learning

Sat, 27 Jun 1998 08:43:21 +0100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:34:22 +0200
From: Hartmut Krech <kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de>
Subject: Electronic Home for Sir Francis Bacon

My recent inquiry for a site that would like to house the only
machine-readable copy of Francis Bacon's "Advancement of Learning"
(AL) has received an overwhelming response. I should like to thank
everyone for their consideration.

Unfortunately, the application server of this university has been
down time and again due to reconstruction work undertaken so that
access has been difficult for me. I have made use of my spare time
setting up a provisional homepage of my own where an HTML copy and
an unformatted text of the this important and beautifully written
text can be nownloaded. I ask that those who have shown an interest
in putting the text on file at their own sites will do so,
considering its size of about 490 MB and slow trans-atlantic and
trans-pacific communication lines, rather than simply adding a
link to their homepages. If you do so, please let me know so that
I shall be able to inform you of any modifications that may be
necessary, although the text has been tested several times and
should suit most everyday uses.

Its URLs are

http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~kr538/baconadv.html

or

http://www1.uni-bremen.de/~kr538/baconadv.txt

Interested parties may also find a bio-bibliographical directory
to writers on the theory, history, and culture of science which is
particularly rich in German-language authors that may be hard to
trace outside Germany. Since at least one German search-engine
refused adoption of my homepage because of its inclusion of English
text, I should be grateful for any recommendations or links.

Kind regards

Dr. Hartmut Krech
Bremen, Germany
kr538@zfn.uni-bremen.de
The Culture and History of Science Page
(http://www1.uni-bremen.de)

"Houses are built to live in and not to look on;
therefore let use be preferred before uniformity,
except where both may be had."
(Francis Bacon of Verulam, Essays).

Humanist Discussion Group