12.0104 OCR for Sanskrit, Tamil?

Mon, 29 Jun 1998 16:28:56 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sat, 27 Jun 1998 10:49:44 +0100
From: Anand K Karalapakkam <anand@engr.uconn.edu>
Subject: OCR s/w

[The following request for information about OCR software comes at a good
time for reviewing any progress in the field. Please send your replies
both to Humanist and to the enquirer, who happens not to be a member of
this group. Thanks. --WM]

Need : I have lot of books (150 +) in Sanskrit , Tamil & mixed
language ( ie. Both Sanskrit & Tamil are intermixed in a single sentance )
written by my late Grandfather. The books are in India ( I am here at US
for just around past 10 months ) .I wish to protect them since many
books are in the verge of decay due to their age . These books are very
dear to many of us in our community too.

Please do suggest the alternatives in purchasing an OCR software
that handles these languages. I don't know head or tail in this area.
What type of Scanner should be there ? What type of PC's ( OS ) ?
What type of editors( ie. Sanskrit ,tamil & Sanskrit + Tamil word
processor ) should be present ? Are there any shareware type products ?

What is the current position regarding the OCR technology ?

Thanks a lot in advance .

Yours sincerely

Anand

Humanist Discussion Group