12.0166 Arden CD

Fri, 7 Aug 1998 00:12:03 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Norman Hinton <hinton@uis.edu> (11)
Subject: Re: 12.0159 Arden CD: a defense

[2] From: Richard Heinzkill <heinzkil@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU> (28)
Subject: Arden Shakespeare CD-ROM

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:38:50 -0600 (CDT)
From: Norman Hinton <hinton@uis.edu>

(THe Arden Shakespear CD-ROM
> =20
> 5. Price. =A32500 is the same price as the Chadwyck-Healey Editions =
and=20
> Adaptations of Shakespeare, as well as being comparable with a large=
=20
> number of other (non-grant-funded) electronic titles coming out of=
=20
> commercial publishing houses. The simple fact of the matter is that=
=20
> data capture and clean-up, and software development are expensive.

There is no question that these things are expensive. BUt I can't resist
saying that any publication whose charges are comparable to Chadwick-Healey
is over-priced by definition.

--=20
Norman Hinton=09=09=09=09hinton@uis.edu

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 18:01:41 -0700
From: Richard Heinzkill <heinzkil@OREGON.UOREGON.EDU>

Arden Shakespeare CD-ROM - a couple of things:
1) re: Brad Scott's posting 12:0159 of Aug. 4, 1998. I was glad
someone has come to the defense of this database, even if it was the
designer of it in the publisher's house. I hope users of the this database
will share their experiences with this resource. We are just beginning to
have it available and would be interested in its strong points.
2) I would like to hear from anyone using searchable Shakespeare
texts on the fre part of the Internet. In other words, not just the text,
but the capability to look for occurences of love, death and taxes in the
full text of a play or uttered by a specific character. Are there
Shakespeare sites that offer this capability?
2) The reviewer of this CD-ROM for CHOICE found "the program is easy t=
use". I did too. Although I do not have Pigman's review before me he
complained about not enough directions, help screens, etc. As I recall he
was not very specific.
3) As good as it was at the time, I am sorry the Bevington bibliograph=
was included because it is so terribley dated, i.e. published in 1978. Nor
is that date very clear to users; one has to read the fine print to discove=
one is accessing a bibliography over twenty years old! Although the
bibliography of Shakespeare criticism can always stand a good, selective
bibliography, I am not sure how well served users are by the older Bevingto=
work. Too bad Routledge did not commission someone to update it. However I
suspect most users will bypass it and go to the electronic version of MLA
International Bibliography. =20
Richard Heinzkill
University of Oregon Library
heinzkil@oregon.uoregon.edu =20

Humanist Discussion Group=20
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D