12.0224 Internet addiction & other devoted states

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:43:22 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Peter Evans <evans@i.hosei.ac.jp> (27)
Subject: twelve-stepping

[2] From: Willard McCarty <Willard.McCarty@kcl.ac.uk> (30)
Subject: addiction defined

Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 12:48:55 +0900
From: Peter Evans <evans@i.hosei.ac.jp>

I thank Dr McCarty ["12.0222 gleanings"] for alerting me to the possibility
that I might have Internet addiction. I rushed straight over to the
Netaddiction site, decided that, yes, I could be addicted, and took The Test
<http://www.netaddiction.com/resources/test.htm>. I scored an alarming 53
(where 0% is I suppose scored by blowpipe-toting Amazonians and 100% by those
who take their LAN cables intravenously).

The general comment for those scoring between 50 and 79 is "You are
experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You
should consider their full impact on your life." After contemplating the
particular set of scores with which I reached a total of 53, Dr Kimberly Young
or her robot surrogate derived additional advice for me, personally: "You are
experiencing occasional or frequent problems because of the Internet. You
should consider their full impact on your life."

One of the questions had been: "How often do you choose to spend more time
on-line over going out with others?" "Frequently", I had shamefacedly
answered.

I think I'll consume less Internet and more alcohol.

+++++

A perceptive and darkly humorous book that may be relevant to the notion of
"Internet addiction" is: Wendy Kaminer, *I'm Dysfunctional, You're
Dysfunctional: The Recovery Movement and Other Self-Help Fashions*
(Addison-Wesley, '92). Read it and the "Psychology" section of your local
bookstore will appear even more gruesome.
Peter Evans evans@i.hosei.ac.jp