12.0223 complaint & defense

Sun, 27 Sep 1998 18:44:20 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: "Sue King-Smith." <asphodel@iaccess.com.au> (98)
Subject: Re: 12.0221 a complaint

[2] From: Dan Price <dprice@tui.edu> (40)

[3] From: "Dr Donald J. Weinshank" <weinshan@cse.msu.edu> (69)
Subject: Re: 12.0221 a complaint <= Should this be a closed
list server?

Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:48:00 +1000
From: "Sue King-Smith." <asphodel@iaccess.com.au>

[The following text is in the "ISO-8859-1" character set]

A Response to Lou's Comments which were:

> What a pity to see that Humanist is now being used for market research
> purposes. Or maybe I should be pleased to see evidence that it's
> being taken seriously by the marketeers.

This was not the reason for our questionnaire. As you could appreciate it
is extremely time consuming and expensive to put out quality online
arts/humanities journals for nothing. The only way to make it viable ...
and thus to further the humanities and the arts in general is to find a way
to sell something (a magazine, a CD_Rom) and ... thus find a way a) to
feed ourselves for our effort and b) to pay the artists/academics etc. who
submit their intellectual and creative works to us. Here at The Animist we
are unfunded at present and thus are unable to pay the many excellent
creative people who kindly send us their material for publication. Apart
from that, responses from our research (which have come from many
concerned artists, poets and academics world wide) will also be
forwarded to arts/humanities funding bodies, editors of arts e-zines etc.
so that they can assess the need among artists/writers etc. for income
support/etc., and also to save ezine and small press editors what little
spare cash they possess before they founder on the shores of multimedia
magazines that no body wants to buy (the sad history of small press poetry
worldwide). As you will appreciate, unlike many tenured academics, most
artists, poets and writers live at or below the poverty line. Here in
Australia our tenured humanities academics are being sacked in droves at
the same time as our government is withdrawing funds to arts related
projects like 'online ezines' and 'writing grants' - it amounts to a full
scale attack on the arts and intellectual endevours in general, and
represents a significant threat to cultural and intellectual freedom in
this country. The trend is not only Australian, however, the impulse to
'gettign and spending' seems to be endemic to many Western nations. Just
the other day students stormed the campus of Monash university Melbourne
as a protest against massive cuts to the university arts faculty. La
Trobe, the university I am most familiar with, has lost about 1/3rd of its
arts lecturers. Around the country whole classics departments have been
routed in the name of economic rationalisation.

The goal of The Animist is to promote the arts and the humanities to a
more general audience and to raise the consciousness of general public to
the arts and humanities generally and in the new mediums. As an editor,
published poet/essayist and recently layed off humanities academic I do
not feel myself to be one of the 'marketeers' you refer to ... though
I can understand your dislike of such people.

Best wishes
Dr. Ian Irvine, PhD (Human Relations), BA (Hum), BA (Hon)
Co-Editor, The Animist
http://www.diskotech.com.au