12.0260 rare materials? training courses?

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:04:51 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Ron Tetreault <tetro@IS.Dal.Ca> (19)
Subject: Digitization of Rare Materials

[2] From: Gudrun Oberprieler <oberprie@socsci.uct.ac.za> (21)
Subject: On-line computer training courses

Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:18:51 -0200
From: Ron Tetreault <tetro@IS.Dal.Ca>

I have heard a few special collections librarians express the opinion that
digitization of rare materials might lead to much more consultation of the
original materials by scholars, rather than less. At first sight, you'd
think that having digital copies readily accessible online would spare the
originals, but it is possible that such access would increase awareness of
the richness of collections and hence the rate of their use.

Does anyone know if a study has been published on the impact of
digitization on the use-rate of the source materials? I wonder if the
anecdotal reports I hear can be documented.

--Ron

+ Ronald Tetreault Tel: (902) 494-3494 +
+ Department of English Fax: (902) 494-2176 +
+ Dalhousie University Home Fax: (902) 453-4786 +
+ Halifax, Nova Scotia e-mail: tetro@is.dal.ca +
+ B3H 3J5 CANADA or Ronald.Tetreault@Dal.Ca +
+ Visit the Lyrical Ballads Bicentenary website at +
+ <http://www.dal.ca/etc/lballads/welcome.html> +
+ learning by the (cyber)sea +