12.0284 agents; ghosts; AsianDOC

Mon, 2 Nov 1998 16:46:06 +0000 (GMT)

[1] From: "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich@HAWAII.EDU> (66)
Subject: Ergo Talks with Microsoft Agents (Free Software)

[2] From: David Green <david@ninch.org> (45)
Subject: Hallowe'en Greetings

[3] From: Maureen Donovan <donovan.1@osu.edu> (18)
Subject: AsianDOC E-Newsletter 1:3 published

Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 12:22:30 -1000 (HST)
From: "Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D." <bralich@HAWAII.EDU>

Microsoft has recently made some of its agent technology available
on the web at http://www.microsoft.com/agents. Most well-known
is a 3 D Parrot called "Peedy." Ergo Linguistics has just modified
their patented "ChatterBox" technology to make it possible to speak
with "Peedy" and the other agents.

For those who are interested in viewing this talking desktop agent,
we can provide the necessary files for a user that will
set everything up and put the "Peedy" icon on the desktop.
The "ChatterBox.exe" file will set up ChatterBox which will
automatically allow you to speak to Peedy.

Once you set up ChatterBox and the "Peedy" in this setup file
Just type in sentences like the following and you can ask the
corresponding questions.

John gave mary a book because it was her birtbday
did John give mary a book
what did john give mary
who gave mary a book
who did john give a book
why did john give mary a book

the tall dark stranger is carrying a bloody knife
what is the stranger doing
what is the stranger carrying
was the stranger carrying a knife

you saw the tall dark stranger in the park
where did you seen the stanger
what did you see
what did you see in the park

thomas jefferson is the third president of the United States
who is the third president of the United States

The Yankees won the 1998 World series
WHAT won the 1998 World Series
*currently the program does not know that the "Yankees" are
people so it is necessary to use "What" for this question.

and so on.

Of course you could build a variety of story or
educational files to talk to Peedy about, but for this
early version it is just fun to put in a few sentences
and chat with him. This is also available with the
Virtual Friend technology at http://www.haptek.com.
Our web site is http://www.ergo-ling.com if you have
any further interest in our NLP technology. Or...
if you have a WIN95 animation of your own we would
be happy to show you how to connect ChatterBox to
it.

I will be showing this in Boston at the SBIR National
Conference November 3-5th. I will also be giving a
lecture and demonstration of this technology at
Northeastern University (Thursday at noon room 415 in
the Classroom Building) while I am there. If you have
anyone in town at that time or at that conference, ask
them to stop by and I will give them a more thorough
introduction to the ChatterBox technology and our other
NLP tools. Because my company is an SBIR grantee we
will have display space in the SBIR section near the
main entrance.

Phil Bralich

Philip A. Bralich, Ph.D.
President and CEO