12.0328 SGML-aware? WWW manipulations? Kazar?

Sun, 10 Jan 1999 14:34:12 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca> (42)
Subject: SGML browsers & market lobby

[2] From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk> (26)
Subject: manipulations

[3] From: Raquel Wandelli <wandelli@cce.ufsc.br> (13)
Subject: help

Date: Wed, 9 Dec 1998 15:42:41 -0500 (EST)
From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>

Willard,

I have often heard you and Susan Hockey urge humanists and scholars to
think about what type of software would best meet their pedagogical
and research needs. Plan for the future.

Somewhere soon there must be an alliance between a computing
department and a humanities discipline to produce sgml-aware software
for the reader. Of course, I will continue to address my plea to
commercial interests. Witness a copy of a letter I have sent to some
commercial software developers:=20

> I work for the John Evelyn Letters project at the University of
> Toronto. The project involves the creation of an electronic edition of
> a corpus of 17th century letters. We are ready to deliver a demo of
> a selection of the TEI conformant markup. However we have been having
> problems locating resouces for browsing sgml files via the Web. Looks
> like there has been little progress since 1996. Since Softquad sold
> its SGML section to Interleaf, users have not been able to easily obtain
> evaluation copies of Panorama plugins. Of course this doesn't help
> Macintosh users much since Softquad sold its SGML product line before
> Mac versions were launched.
>=20
> I was wondering given your investment in SGML if you had plans to
> market more products. The academic market is big and poised to adopt
> sgml authoring tools for the creation of scholary editions. The one
> stumbling block is the lack of a user base. More and more, academics
> are pointing to the multimedia industry where developers like Adobe
> and Macromedia give away their plugins for Acrobat and Shockwave
> respectively for free.
>=20
> There is the case of the Finnish product Multidoc which is being
> listed at 50$US. (Small price for the one time user but not cheap on a
> per machine basis).
>=20
> I urge to consider marketing plans for this underserviced sector.
>=20
> Thank you

There are larger issues here about ownership, stewardship and fair
remuneration for the building of infrastructures. There is also an
historical question: what has happened since the promising crest of
1996? Or was that crest mere illusion? Has the advent of XML slowed
development and deployment of sgml-aware software?

--=20
Francois
"cohorts become a matter of ecology"