12.0336 more Christmas lore

Fri, 15 Jan 1999 18:51:20 +0000 (BST)

Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 01:14:22 +0100
From: Elisabeth Burr <he229bu@unidui.uni-duisburg.de>
Subject: Re: 12.0329 season's greetings (belated by WM)

Let me just add that in Germany there is Nikolaus and not Santa
Klaus the 6th of December. And there always was Knecht Ruprecht,
too, with his 'Rute' for bad children.
For what concerns Christmas, when I was small, our gifts where
braught by a 'Christkind' which is neutre in gender, not male as
the 'Weinachtsmann' of today. I still stick to it, seems so much
more adequate.

There is a different personality in Italy: la befana, a good witch
who brings a piece of black sugar and other gifts. I think, it is
the 6th of January, the day of 'los magos'. The Italians will know
better.

Yes, winter has many rich traditions and it would be really good
not to forget them or better get to know them, their similarities and
differences.

I was really amazed this Christmas when our children (quite grown
up by now) still wanted to listen to a story and as the real grown ups
didn't really know what to do, they took the book themselves and read:
"Das Hanukka-Licht". We are not religious but when they where small
we always had a story sitting round the Christmas tree. Perhaps, there
is a bit more to Christmas or winter time celebrations if we want it to be.
Elisabeth Burr

PD Drin. Elisabeth Burr
FB 3/Romanistik Gerhard-Mercator-Universitaet GH
Geibelstrasse 41 47048 Duisburg
+49 203 3791957 Elisabeth.Burr@uni-duisburg.de
http://www.uni-duisburg.de/FB3/ROMANISTIK/PERSONAL/Burr/burr.htm
Editor of: