12.0357 linguistically interesting Web sites?

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:41:42 +0000 (BST)

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:33:27 +0000
From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: linguistically interesting Web sites?

I would be grateful for nominations of Web sites that from a linguistic
point of view use language in ways which most effectively exploit the
characteristics of the electronic medium. If we adapt our writing to the
medium, how is our actual use of language changed? Do our sentences become
shorter? more colloquial? tend to become fragmented into list items? What
about paragraphs? How, if at all, is syntax affected? Does our vocabulary
tend to change, and if so, how?

I would appreciate knowing what kinds of questions that it makes sense to
ask, as well as answers to any of the above that are worth answering.

Dr. Willard McCarty
Senior Lecturer, Centre for Computing in the Humanities
King's College London / Strand / London WC2R 2LS
+44 (0)171 873 2784 voice; 873 5081 fax
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/wlm/
maui gratia

Humanist Discussion Group