12.0375 binary; cui prodest; computers change prose

Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:30:04 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Gregory Rice <gregrice@earthlink.net> (23)
Subject: Re: 12.0370 binary not other

[2] From: Domenico Fiormonte <mc9809@mail.mclink.it> (6)
Subject: Re: 12.0372 the Double-Dative

[3] From: Domenico Fiormonte <mc9809@mail.mclink.it> (14)
Subject: Re: 12.0364 how computers can change your prose

Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 19:29:20 +0000
From: Gregory Rice <gregrice@earthlink.net>

Humanist Discussion Group wrote:
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:25:16 +0000
> From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>
> >
> Willard,
>
> I am provoked by a recent posting to Humanist by
> Jim Marchand to distinguish between the digital and
> the binary. He did draw attention to the importance of labels and
> argumentation.
> The binary (I/O) builds the digital. From rudimentary finger counting
> to random number generation, a computer, human or machine, operates by
> manipulating sequences. The digital works at the level of sequences.

Binary systems were adopted for their simple, direct representation by
electromechanical "open" and "closed" circuits (On and Off), now
electronic rahther than electromechanical. The base 10 counting system
is the one employed at the typical end-user of computers, but
hexadecimal systems and others have been employed in digital systems as
well.

Multiple "speed" bicycles are digital. Discrete levels of operation, a
singel gear for a specific ratio of gears per inch (or whatever measure
you care to apply).

Greg