12.0394 souls; first things of the humanities

Wed, 3 Feb 1999 21:06:00 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Stephen Clark <srlclark@liverpool.ac.uk> (39)
Subject: souls

[2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (57)
Subject: First Things

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 21:04:14 +0000
From: Stephen Clark <srlclark@liverpool.ac.uk>

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Willard wrote:

>Cultural evolution has been characterised by a series of great blows to our
>self-conception: Copernicus' astronomy, to the centrality of the earth,
Darwin's evolution, to our unique place
>among life-forms; Freud's psychoanalysis, to our notion of inner freedom
>from the bestial; and now, of course, Turing's machine.

I'm dubious. Heliocentrism was preferred because (a) the sun seemed a
more glorious centre, (b) the earth was elevated from the *bottom* (the
pits) of the universe, and now rode in the heavens, free from the
malign influence of the stargods who had contained her. [Oh yes,
and (c) it worked better, at least when Kepler had refined it,
as a predictive device]. Darwin's theory, as it was interpreted by his
readers, assured us that human beings (and especially Europeans)
deserved to be top because `we' had been selected by Nature (and by
covert implication, there was no-one now to whom we must defer). Freud
(as interpreted) meant that we could be freed of `irrational fears and
obsessions'. And `Turing's Machine' is testimony to our godlike capacity
to create living creatures....

So these supposed shocks actually encouraged our self-conceit...

As to the x-rays:

>Someone will
>undoubtedly note that for example the corporeal notion of a soul, as if it
>were some inner organ, may have been shown to be piffle, but the idea behind
>it has metamorphosed rather than simply vanished.

But who held a `corporeal notion of a soul' in that sense? Stoics and
Epicureans did indeed think that only bodies had real effects, and that
mental activity must be construed as the action of bodies. They wouldn't
have been worried by X-rays. Platonists (and Cartesians) were clear that
souls *couldn't* be corporeal (extended) substances. THe whole point of
a soul is that it provided the unity that extended substance cannot
provide for itself. So they wouldn't have been worried by x-rays either.

THere is a story by A.K.Dewdney, The Planiverse, which is mostly to do
with the construction of a two-dimensional world and ecosystem
(following Abbott's Flatland and some others). The stereotypically
obtuse human characters, hearing the Planiversers talk about their inner
being, fatuously say that their inner being is visibly only a collection
of (2-dimensional) organs. But that was never what `inner being' meant.

Best wishes

Stephen Clark
srlclark@liverpool.ac.uk