12.0241 e-publishing of dissertations

Tue, 6 Oct 1998 12:50:06 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Matt Kirschenbaum (33)
<mgk3k@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: 12.0238 e-dissertations?

[2] From: "Strahorn, Dr. Eric" <estraho@fgcu.edu> (84)

[3] From: "Wouden A. van der" <vdwouden@let.rug.nl> (59)

Date: Sun, 4 Oct 1998 15:21:45 -0400 (EDT)
From: Matt Kirschenbaum <mgk3k@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>

I have been told informally by representatives from several academic
presses that they would not consider or would consider only with
prejudice a manuscript that had been previously "published" online as a
thesis or a dissertation. (That information is anecdotal at best.)

But I put scare-quotes around the word "published" here because I think
it demonstrates the real issue at hand: the need to sophisticate our
understanding of what publication actually entails. To me, publication
entails a great deal more than simply the act of making public.
Certainly the provision of general public access to a manuscript is an
essential part of what constitutes publication, but it is finally only
_one_ part of a process that also includes peer review, editing,
publicity and advertising, various legal obligations, remuneration, a
commitment to continuing dissemination, and so forth. All of these
things are typically part of the model of distriubtion and access we
have historically termed "publication," but _not_ all of them are
necessarily part of a university-based ETD initiative, such as the one
now in place at Virginia Tech (even if one particular objective of such
initiatives is to make a thesis or a dissertation publicly accessible).
Likewise, a university-based ETD initiative itself suggests a very
different model of distribution and access than if I, as an individual,
were simply to place a dissertation-length monograph on my own personal
homepage, served off of a commercial ISP. To flatten all of the above --
a personal homepage, a university-based ETD initiatve, and academic
and/or commercial publication (themselves two very different endeavors)
-- reveals to me a crude imagining of what publication actually entails.
It would be disappointing if publishers, particularly academic
publishers, were unable or unwilling to do better. Matt

Matthew G. Kirschenbaum
Department of English
Institute for Advanced Technology in the Humanities
University of Virginia

mgk3k@virginia.edu or mattk@virginia.edu
http://www.iath.virginia.edu/~mgk3k/