12.0406 constructing meaning

Fri, 5 Feb 1999 20:12:25 +0000 (BST)

Date: Fri, 05 Feb 1999 20:17:55 +0000
From: Pat Moran <pjm0362@mailer.fsu.edu>
Subject: Re: 12.0399 constructing meaning

> <http://www.princeton.edu/~mccarty/humanist/>
> <http://www.kcl.ac.uk/humanities/cch/humanist/>
>
> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 22:15:57 +0000
> From: Patricia Galloway <galloway@mdah.state.ms.us>
> >
>Yes--don't forget what we've already learned from the cultural studies
>people via reader-response theory (or vice versa): that meaning too is
>in the eye of the beholder. Native American cultures are unmelted in the
>American pot today because they resisted, reworked, and turned to their
>own uses what was on offer from Europeans.
>Pat Galloway
>--
>Patricia Galloway
>Mississippi Department of Archives and History
>P.O. Box 571, Jackson, MS 39205-0571
>voice 601-359-6863
Leaving the cultural studies people aside, consider the biologists.
What tribe or clan in "Native American cultures" is "unmelted" genetically?

Many of the tribes which REALLY resisted are extinct, like the Yahi.

Constructed meaning is alive and well in the blond and blue-eyed members
of Native American tribes, yes, but to say that these tribes are unmelted is
not accurate in the physical sense.

Humanist Discussion Group