12.0412 C&IT in small-group teaching

Mon, 8 Feb 1999 20:46:55 +0000 (BST)

Date: Mon, 08 Feb 1999 20:46:45 +0000
From: Michael Fraser <mike.fraser@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: C&IT in small-group teaching

Are you using computer-based resources or email discussion lists with
small groups of humanities students? Are you based in the UK and would be
willing to be interviewed about your experiences? Then please feel free to
contact my colleague (details below). We are also interested in hearing
of the experiences of non-UK academics but will probably not have the
resources to undertake a formal interview.

With thanks,

Michael Fraser
CTI Textual Studies
--------------------

Dear Colleagues,

The ASTER (Assisting Small-group Teaching through Electronic Resources)
project is a UK initiative to explore how C&IT can assist studeents and
lecturers to make the most of small-group learning and teaching. We are
seeking to identify UK-based lecturers who are using small-group methods
that may currently involve or have involved Computing and Information
Technology (C&IT) for teaching the humanities and would be happy to be
interviewed about this. We intend to conduct a semi-structured interview
that will take about 20 minutes.

The project is investigating the use of Communications and Information
Technology (C&IT) in small group learning and teaching. The project is a
consortium between the CTI Centres for Physics, Psychology and Textual
Studies, and the Social Science Faculty at Southampton Institute. It is
funded through the Teaching and Learning Technology Programme (TLTP) Phase
3.

Small group teaching is a valued element of university education, though
one that is coming increasingly under pressure with rising student
numbers. The Aster project is currently carrying out a survey of the use
of C&IT in small group teaching in UK universities with the aim of
identifying and promoting good practice.

We would be grateful for your views and input to this project. If you have
experience of using C&IT for small-group teaching (with either positive or
negative results), and are willing to participate and be interviewed,
please contact Dr Frances Condron at:

frances.condron@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk

Many thanks for your assistance.

Dr Frances Condron, CTI Textual Studies, Oxford University Computing
Services, 13 Banbury Road, Oxford OX2 6NN.
Email: frances.condron@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1865 273280

Humanist Discussion Group