12.0464 many conferences....

Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:27:06 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (402)
Subject: ACL'99 Workshop Announcements

[2] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (21)
Subject: Formal Grammar 99: Final Call for Papers

[3] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (21)
Subject: TOOLS USA '99 - Last Call for Submissions

[4] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (13)
Subject: ESSLLI & agents

[5] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (12)
Subject: M4M: Call for Submissions

[6] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (23)
Subject: EUROLAN'99 Student Session

[7] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (352)
Subject: IASS-Info Congress-Calendar 2/5 - 1999/04-05

[8] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (17)
Subject: SEMCOM:Call for papers

[9] From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu> (14)
Subject: EAMT workshop 1999 announcement

Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 20:09:17 +0000
From: "David L. Gants" <dgants@english.uga.edu>

>> From: Priscilla Rasmussen <rasmusse@cs.rutgers.edu>

Below, separated by askerisks (*) are FIVE ACL'99 associated Workshop
announcements: 1) Coreference and Its Applications; 2) Joint EMNLP
and Very Large Corpora; 3) Relationship Between Discourse/Dialogue
Structure and Reference; 4) Toward Standards and Tools for Discourse
Tagging; and 5) SIGLEX'99. Also included at the end is a co-located
Symposium announcement for Computer-Mediated Language Assessment and
Evaluation in NLP.

ACL'99 Workshop
COREFERENCE AND ITS APPLICATIONS
June 22, 1999
University of Maryland
College Park, MD. USA

http://www.cs.duke.edu/~amit/acl99-wkshp.html

WORKSHOP DESCRIPTION

Coreference is in some sense nature's own hyperlink. It conveys how
individual statements are connected within documents, across documents
and across bodies of human knowledge. Consequently coreference
resolution algorithms are at the core of Natural Language
Processing. Most of the work done on coreference deals with
a single language and a single text document (usually newswire).

[material deleted]
> [...]
> > to rule-based methods? Are
> > there any new techniques to be developed in EMNLP and from VLC in order
> > to improve the state-of-the-art of ASR, MT, IR, OCR, and other applied
> > systems? Are there new ways to combine corpus-based and empirical
> > methods with rule-based systems?
> >
> > This two-day conference aims to bring together academic researchers and
> > industrial practitioners to discuss the above issues, through technical
> > paper sessions, invited talks, and panel discussions. The goal of the
> > conference is to raise an awareness of what kind of new EMNLP techniques
> > need to be developed in order to bring about the next breakthrough in
> > speech recognition and synthesis, machine translation, information
> > retrieval and other applied systems.
> >
> > The conference solicits paper submissions in (and not limited to) the
> > following areas:
> >
> > 1) Original work in one of the following technologies and its relevance
> > to speech, MT, or IR:
> > (a) word sense disambiguation
> > (b) word and term segmentation and extraction
> > (c) alignment
> > (d) bilingual lexicon extraction
> > (e) POS tagging
> > (f) statistical parsing
> > (g) others (please specify)
> >
> > 2) Proposals of new EMNLP technologies for speech, MT, IR, OCR, or other
> > applied systems (please specify)
> >
> > 3) Comparative evaluation of the performance of EMNLP technologies in
> > one of the areas in (1) and that of its
> > rule-based or knowledge-based counterpart in a speech, MT, IR, OCR or
> > other applied systems
> >

> > Submissions Requirements
> >
> > Submissions should be limited to original, evaluated work. All papers
> > should include background survey and/or reference to previous work. The
> > authors should provide explicit explanation when there is no evaluation
> > in their work. We encourage paper submissions related to the conference
> > theme. In particular, we encourage the authors to include in their
> > papers, proposals and discussions of the relevance of their work to the
> > theme . However, there will be a special session in the conference to
> > include corpus-based and/or empirical
> > work in all areas of natural language processing.
> >
> > Important Dates
> >
> > March 31 Submission of full-length paper
> > April 30 Acceptance notice
> > May 20 Camera-ready paper due
> > June 21-22 Conference date
> >
> > Program Chair
> >
> > Pascale Fung
> > Human Language Technology Center
> > Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
> > University of Science and Tehnology (HKUST)
> > Clear Water Bay, Kowloon
> > Hong Kong
> > Tel: (+852) 2358 8537
> > Fax: (+852) 2358 1485
> > Email: pascale@ee.ust.hk
> >
> > Program Co-Chair
> > Joe Zhou
> > LEXIS-NEXIS, a Division of Reed Elsevier

CALL FOR PAPERS

ACL'99 Workshop on the Relationship Between
Discourse/Dialogue Structure and Reference
June 21 1999
University of Maryland

http://www.isi.edu/~marcu/discourse-ref-acl99/

---------------------------------

The relationship between the structure of discourse and dialogue and the
use of referring expressions has been the focus of much research in
linguistics, computational linguistics, and psycholinguistics. Although
individual efforts have been couched in a variety of frameworks ranging from
(S)DRT and RST to Centering, they all share two underlying assumptions:

1. The structure of discourse affects the interpretation of referring
expressions and the space of anaphoric accessibility.
2. The use of referring expressions restricts the set of possible
discourse interpretations.

However, most approaches address only one of these two views on the relation
between structure and reference. And although several theories explaining
this relationship exist, few have made a significant impact on practical
applications such as discourse parsing, summarization, generation, and
name-entity recognition.

This workshop will provide a forum for researchers in all areas of
linguistics, psycholinguistics, and computational linguistics who are
interested in advancing the state of the art in understanding the
relationship between discourse/dialogue structure and reference. Submissions
are invited on, but not limited to, the following topics and issues:

[material deleted]

(morena.danieli@cselt.it).
> If electronic submission is impossible, please contact the organizers
> to arrange for hardcopy submission.
>
> Maximum length is 6 pages including figures and references.
>
> Please conform with the traditional two-column ACL Proceedings
> format. Style files can be downloaded from
> ftp://ftp.cs.columbia.edu/acl-l/Styfiles/Proceedings/.
>
> Timetable:
>
> Deadline for submissions: March 20, 1999.
> Notification of acceptance: April 16, 1999.
> Camera ready copies due: April 30, 1999
>
> WORKSHOP CHAIRS: Marilyn Walker, Morena Danieli, Johanna D. Moore,
Barbara Di Eugenio.

SIGLEX99
Standardizing Lexical Resources
June 21, 22, 1999
University of Maryland

FIRST CALL FOR PAPERS

As our national interests become increasingly global, timely access to
information becomes more and more necessary. Many promising strategies for
information provision rely heavily on lexical resources, including ontologies.
Our next major challenge is providing a standardized lexical resource: an
inventory of word meanings, or senses, associated with criteria for
distinguishing them. Currently there are several different on-line lexical
resources that are being used for English, WordNet, Longman's, the Oxford
English Dictionary, (OED), CIDE from Cambeidge University Press (CUP), Collins,
and Webster's, to name just a few, and they each use very different approaches
to making sense distinctions. Various computational lexicons and related
resources such as ontologies are under development, including the European
PAROLE/SIMPLE lexicons, the Generative Lexicon, the SENSUS ontology,
Mikrokosmos, WordNet, Framenet, and the theory of Lexical Conceptual
Structures. Each takes a very different approach and makes reference to
different underlying theories of semantics. This divergence of resources has
motivated the efforts of the EAGLES Lexical Semantics Group, which is defining
a common format for lexical semantic representation for 12 languages.
http://www.ilc.pi.cnr.it/EAGLES96/rep2/

In a recent evaluation of word sense disambiguation systems, SIGLEX98-SENSEVAL,
(also supported by Euralex, Elsenet, ECRAN and SPARKLE)
"http://www.itri.brighton.ac.uk/events/senseval",
the training data and test data were prepared using a set of Oxford University
Press (OUP) senses. This made it difficult to evaluate the performance of
pre-existing systems that had been built using other lexical resources. A
mapping was made from the OUP senses to WordNet senses, so that WordNet systems
could be included, but this was somewhat problematic as there were far fewer
WordNet senses, and frequently no direct mapping was possible. As do most
dictionaries, OUP and WordNet often make different decisions about how to
structure entries for the same words which are all equally valid, but simply
not compatible. Therefore, it becomes especially difficult to include
pre-existing systems in the evaluation that rely on a pre-existing lexical
resource other than the one used as the Gold Standard. The question that
arises here is the likelihood of making performance preserving mappings between
lexical resources. Is it even possible to treat one lexical resource as a
standard that other resources can be mapped to? (This is true even when
focusing on just one language - the problem simply becomes more explosive when
additional languages become involved.) All of the participants in
SIGLEX98-SENSEVAL agreed that they would prefer evaluations based on running
text rather than corpus instances, but this is only feasible if the Gold
Standard sense inventory being used for tagging can be appropriately mapped
onto several different lexical resources.

The purpose of SIGLEX99 is to directly address the issue of standardization of
lexical resources, and performance-preserving mappings between existing
resources. As a spin-off from SENSEVAL, we are investigating mapping the OUP
SENSEVAL senses onto other lexical resources. We will also be tagging running
text with these senses, and other senses, and will circulate this ahead of time
to workshop participants. There will be several working sessions focussed
around the mappings between lexical resources and the tagged samples.

Languages other than English will also be considered, in connection with
ROMANSEVAL, the subset of SENSEVAL for Romance languages (but with no
restriction to that language family). We will study the relevance of
EuroWordNet (EWN) sense dictinctions for WSD systems, and the applicability of
the Interlingua Language Index (ILI) created within EWN for cross-language
sense-standardization. An issue of particular interest is the mapping of
existing resources to the ILI, which could be an important step towards the
development of a standardized multilingual lexicon for WSD. Such a multilingual
gold standard could in turn be used to semantically tag parallel texts and thus
create standardized corpora useful for many multilingual applications. There
will also be a session to discuss the future of American involvement in EAGLES,
and how the workshop results and conclusions can be incorporated.

We will have invited talks on ontologies and lexical resources, and we welcome
submissions on any areas in lexical semantics and computational lexical
semantics, but particularly on the acquisition and use of lexical resources and
ontologies and on word sense disambiguation. There will be a workshop
proceedings, and as we have done with our last two workshops, we will encourage
partipants to make electronic versions of their papers available on the web
prior to the workshop. Likely invited speakers include Patrick Hanks (Oxford
University Press), Chuck Fillmore (Berkeley), and someone speaking on WordNet
or EuroWordNet and on SIMPLE (the European project for building harmonized
semantic lexicons for 12 European languages).

The schedule for paper submissions (ACL format, 6 pages):

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: March 29, 1999

NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE: May 7, 1999

CAMERA READY COPIES (and copyrights) DUE: May 28, 1999

Please send submissions, hard copy or electronic (.ps or .doc), to:

Martha Palmer
Institute for Research in Cognitive Science
400A, 3401 Walnut Street/6228
University of Pennsylvania
Philadlephia, PA 19104
Telephone: (215) 898-0361
FAX No.: (215) 573-9247
e-mail: mpalmer@cis.upenn.edu

Program Committee:

Nicoletta Calzolari, Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale, Pisa
Bonnie Dorr, University of Maryland
Chuck Fillmore, University of California, Berkeley
Ralph Grishman, New York University
Patrick Hanks, Oxford University Press
Eduard Hovy, USC Information Sciences Institute
Nancy Ide, Vassar College
Adam Kilgarriff, ITRI, University of Brighton
Marc Light, MITRE Corporation
Martha Palmer, University of Pennsylvania, CHAIR
James Pustejovsky, Brandeis University
Philip Resnik, University of Maryland
Patrick St Dizier, IRIT-CNRS, Universiti Paul Sabatier
Antonio Sanfilippo, European Commission, DG XIII
Frederique Segond, Xerox Research Centre, Grenoble
Jean Vironis, Universiti de Provence
Evelyne Viegas, New Mexico State University
Piek Vossen, University of Amsterdam
Yorick Wilks, University of Sheffield
David Yarowsky, John's Hopkins University
Antonio Zompolli, Istituto di Linguistica Computazionale, Pisa

Call for Participation

COMPUTER-MEDIATED LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT
and
EVALUATION IN NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING

http://umiacs.umd.edu/~molsen/acl-iall

A Symposium jointly sponsored by:
International Association of Language Learning Technologies
and
Association for Computational Linguistics

Tuesday, June 22, 1999 (preceding IALL-99 and ACL-99)
University of Maryland, College Park, MD

The purpose of this meeting will be to strengthen collaboration
between researchers and users of language learning tools. We solicit
abstracts for a range of participation types, including, but not
limited to presentations, proposals, demonstrations, and papers on:

[material deleted]