12.0470 new on WWW

Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:22:26 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu> (73)
Subject: The latest issue of The Journal of Electronic
Publishing

[2] From: NINCH-Announce <david@ninch.org> (75)
Subject: NEDCC'S PRESERVATION MANUAL ON-LINE

[3] From: Costis Dallas <dallas@mail.hol.gr> (37)
Subject: Transforming the humanities through ICT

Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 22:20:22 +0000
From: Eve Trager <etrager@umich.edu>
Subject: The latest issue of The Journal of Electronic Publishing

WHO OWNS WHAT?
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY, COPYRIGHT, AND THE NEXT MILLENNIUM

Guest Editor Lorrie LeJeune, one of JEP's original founders, sheds new light on
an old topic by bringing us a look at sister electronic industries as well as
our own. That orthogonal approach to intellectual-property issues is a mind
expander, and one that makes every article worth reading. But first, check out
Lorrie's introduction at
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/glos0403.html>.

Copyright in a Time of Change
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/strong.html>
William S. Strong, a copyright lawyer, spoke about the then-current state of
online publishing in 1994. He brings that presentation up to date, reminding us
that we still don't have enough experience to make permanent policy about
copyright and fair use. Instead, he urges, let's be flexible and wait for the
market to sort itself out.

Electronic Rights Management and Digital Identifier Systems
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/gervais.html>
Daniel J. Gervais of the Copyright Clearance Center surveys current systems for
managing electronic rights electronically, concluding that while they all
have a
long way to go, they show promise.

Giving It Away:
How Red Hat Software Stumbled Across a New Economic Model
and Helped Improve an Industry
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/young.html>
Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat, the company that sells the Linux operating-system
software, proves that you can flout the first law of 42nd Street, selling what
others are giving away free -- and build a business.

Does Information Really Want to Be Licensed?
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/samuelson.html>
Pamela Samuelson, University of California at Berkeley, analyzes the proposed
changes in article 2B of the Uniform Commercial Code, and fears for the future
of scholarly publishing.

Do It Yourself:
A New Solution to the Journals Crisis
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/rambler.html>
Mark Rambler, assistant editor of The American Lawyer, explains how SPARC lets
libraries become publishers. In his related article, 2B or Not 2B
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/ramblerside.html>, he explores UCC2B from
the point of view of the publisher.

Other articles in this issue:

Not Your Father's References:
Citations in the Digital Space
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/lindquist.html>
At a publishing conference in Paris, Lund University's Mats Lindquist offered
his appealing solution to the Internet-wide problem of citing often-ephemeral
electronic sources, and he agreed to write it up for JEP so that we could share
it with you.

Is EDI the Answer, or Part of the Problem?
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/lichtenberg.html>
James Lichtenberg subscribed to JEP just over a month ago, and volunteered that
as a consultant in the publishing industry he writes about the important
issues.
So we asked him to submit something to JEP, and he did: the inside skinny on
publishing's problems with enterprise-wide software.

Ready for Y2K
<http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/plan9.html>
With all the worry about the year 2000 problem, we bring you Plan Nine
Publishing's unique approach. Perhaps other publishers will be inspired to
consider something similar.

Finally, we feature another fine piece by Contributing Editor Thom Lieb --
Copyright and Wrongs:
Putting Visitors on Notice
http://www.press.umich.edu/jep/04-03/lieb0403.html
in which Thom offers advice about what to put behind that "Copyright" notice at
the bottom of your Web page. No copyright notice? Better read Thom's article
and
get moving.

Enjoy!

Judith Axler Turner