12.0493 scanning Fraktur

Tue, 16 Mar 1999 22:13:58 +0000 (BST)

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 21:54:56 +0000
From: Peter Stahl <petstahl@cc.jyu.fi>
Subject: Re: Scanning Fraktur

Dear Humanists,

> > Anyone know of any scanning software capable of dealing with Fraktur?
> I only know Prolector and Optopus. But be warned:
> You have to teach the program every single font the text uses.
> In short: As far as I know it
> is easier (and cheaper) to have somebody type texts in Fraktur than
> to use OCR software.

I agree fully to this remark. But I think, you have to go even further. If
you do need a high quality text which is error free, the only way to get
it is to have it typed independently by two persons. After they have
finished their jobs you compare the two texts with each other and thus
extract the errors. With this list of differences gained from the first
text you can then automatically correct the second one.

By doing so you get an error free text without any manual interference.
Problems only come up, to be honest, when the two typists have made
exactly the same misspelling, because there you don't find any difference,
the probability of which is so marginal that you can live with it.

Peter Stahl

Humanist Discussion Group