12.0518 virtual universities

Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:15:00 +0000 (BST)

[1] From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com> (22)
Subject: Re: 12.0515 future of the virtual university?

[2] From: "Ted Knab" <teddy969@hotmail.com> (29)

[3] From: nellac@home.com (21)

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:01:51 +0000
From: "Norman D. Hinton" <hinton@springnet1.com>

I regard the report of failure of Western Governor's and California
Virtual as good news indeed. -- I'm a strong believer in Computer
Assisted Instruction, and wrote some 40 CAI lessons in the old PLATO
days, but I regard the idea of getting an entire degree without setting
foot on a campus,or ever being with fellow students (chat rooms don't
count) as something other than an education.

Perhaps the lack off enrolment suggests that the people out there have
more sense than educationists were willing to grant.