12.0522 virtual universities: not dead yet

Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:58:02 +0000 (BST)

Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 19:58:41 +0000
From: <Haradda@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 12.0518 virtual universities

In a message dated 99-03-25 16:45:19 EST, humanist@kcl.ac.uk writes:

<<
I regard the report of failure of Western Governor's and California
Virtual as good news indeed. -- I'm a strong believer in Computer
Assisted Instruction, and wrote some 40 CAI lessons in the old PLATO
days, but I regard the idea of getting an entire degree without setting
foot on a campus,or ever being with fellow students (chat rooms don't
count) as something other than an education.

I believe that the rumors of the "failure of the Western Govenor's Viritual
University" are a little bit premature. It is still continuing. I have
looked into it. I find that the programs are still not quite there yet. The
classes that are available are not enough for a degree. They are also much
more expensive than taking a class at one of the local university branches.
It will not become a viable choice until the costs are lower and the quality
and quanity of the programs improve.

David Reed

Humanist Discussion Group