12.0534 new on WWW

Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:53:20 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: <S.A.Rae@open.ac.uk> (38)
Subject: Reading Experience Database - RED Letter 3 - News

[2] From: The William Blake Archive (38)
<blake@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>
Subject: Blake Archive's April Update

[3] From: "Charles W. Bailey, Jr." <LIB3@UHUPVM1.UH.EDU> (52)
Subject: Version 24, Scholarly Electronic Publishing
Bibliography

[4] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (63)
Subject: Intel's ArtMuseum.net & the new Whitney Site

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:49:25 +0100
From: <S.A.Rae@open.ac.uk>

Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:49:40 +0100
From: The William Blake Archive <blake@jefferson.village.virginia.edu>

The William Blake Archive <http://www.iath.virginia.edu/blake/> is
pleased to announce the publication of two new electronic editions of
Blake's satiric masterpiece, _The Marriage of Heaven and Hell_. They are
of copies C and F, both of which are in the Pierpont Morgan Library.

_Marriage_ copy C, printed in 1790 in green ink on both sides of the
leaf, was printed and colored in the style of early copies of _Songs of
Innocence_. It has not been reproduced in color before. _Marriage_ copy
F was beautifully and heavily color printed on one side of the leaf
(with copy E) in c. 1794. It was produced in the style used for _Songs
of Experience_ of _Songs of Innocence and of Experience_ copy F, color
printed in 1794 and recently published in the Archive, as well as for
_Visions of the Daughters of Albion_ copy F, also in the Archive.

_Marriage_ is the only illuminated book Blake did not sign and date; he
did, however, pen in "1790" over line 1 in plate 3 of copy F, thereby
clarifying the plate's allusion to 1757 ("and it is now thirty-three
years since its advent"), the year of the Last Judgment, according to
Swedenborg, and of Blake's birth.

Copies C and F join _Marriage_ copy D, already in the Archive. Copy D,
the Lessing J. Rosenwald copy in the Library of Congress, is also of
bibliographical interest, in that it was printed in c. 1795 as part of a
set of illuminated books that were printed on folio-size paper. This
large-paper set also included _America_ copy A, _All Religions are One_
copy A, _There is No Natural Religion_ copy L, and _The Book of Thel_
copy F, all of which are in the Archive. It also included _Visions of
the Daughters of Albion_ copy G, _The First Book of Urizen_ copy B,
_Europe_ copy H, and _Songs of Innocence and of Experience_ copy R, all
of which will enter the Archive within the next six months.

We now have thirty-one copies of sixteen illuminated books in the
Archive. In addition to the books, we recently opened a new wing of the
Archive, consisting of an extensive array of supporting materials: an
updated and expanded Plan of the Archive, a statement of Editorial
Principles and Methodology, a summary of the Archive's technical design
and implementation, and a list of Frequently Asked Questions. Our hope
is that these extensive documentary materials will prove valuable both
to our own growing user community as well as to scholars interested in
the theory and practice of electronic editing more generally.

Morris Eaves, Robert N. Essick, Joseph Viscomi, Editors
Matthew Kirschenbaum, Project Manager
The William Blake Archive