12.0537 transliteration: Evreinov, N. N. (Nikolai Nikolaevich)

Tue, 6 Apr 1999 20:12:21 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (55)
Subject: RE:12.0532 transliterations?

[2] From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> (17)
Subject: transliteration

[3] From: John Lavagnino <John.Lavagnino@kcl.ac.uk> (8)

Date: Tue, 06 Apr 1999 20:14:17 +0100
From: Jim Marchand <marchand@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>

>--[1]------------------------------------------------------------------
> Date: Fri, 02 Apr 1999 18:47:01 +0100
> From: Francois Lachance <lachance@chass.utoronto.ca>
> >
>Calling for assistence in particular from Slavists and theatre theorists:
>
>Specific Case:
>Robert Segrest's article "The Perimeter Projects: Notes for Design" mentions
>Nikolai Eureinov and the concept of the "theatricalization of everyday
>life". I've read this article in the version reproduced in the
>collection edited by Michael Hays, _Architecture Theory Since 1968_.
>
>I have been unable to find any material by or on Eureinov through
>either a library catalogue search or through a W3 search (two defunct
>Web sites did turn up). Could there possibly be another
>transliteration of the name? Any bibliographical assistence would be
>appreciated.
>
>[Yes I am in the process of following up with the author of the
>article and back checking the publication record to locate the
>intrusion of any typographical mistake. And I have done searches using
>keywords "theater" "theatre" and "everyday life".]
>
>It seems to me that Eureinov's work would help sort out some issues
>that crop up in hypertext theory especially as to the imaginative
>construction (phenomenology) of the spaces of interaction in
>computer-mediated communciation.
>
>General Case:
>Transliterations and the sophistication of search engines. Any one
>care to venture a statement on the state of the art?
>

>--
>Francois Lachance
>lachance@chass.utoronto.ca

What you are looking for is probably Evreinov, Nikolai Nikolaevich,
1879-1953. Not eU, but eV. As to the state of the art in transliteration,
unfortunately art is what we are talking about, and there are many schemes
for transliterating Russian, as also other languages. One has but to look
at ones own name in Russian, e.g., to see how many problems there are. If
we would all go to Unicode or some such scheme, we could get out of this
morass. How do you transliterate the name of the author of the Brothers
Karamazov? Along the same line, numerous bibliographies (e.g. MLA) do not
handle extended characters well, so you end up with Beitrdge for Beitraege
or some such. Not so much a problem, but what do you do with Mller? Is that
vowel o-slash, o-umlaut, u-umlaut ...? The largest problem in humanities
computing today is writing systems (fonts, even) and what to do with them,
how to register them (HTML, SGML, Unicode, etc.), how to sort them, where
can I get a font which ... and all that. Scarcely a day passes that I do
not see a question on fonts, sorting, representation, scanning, or some such
on one of the lists I visit. So far, no answer. Too many hands, too few
pies (pun, only for old typesetters).
Jim Marchand.