13.0030 humanities computing discussion

Sat, 22 May 1999 15:19:42 +0100 (BST)

Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 15:05:47 +0100
From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty@kcl.ac.uk>
Subject: discussion of humanities computing

Dear Colleagues,

Professor Tito Orlandi (Roma, La Sapienza), author of the strenuous "sfogo"
(objection) to my little essay, "We would know how we know what we know",
has put together a Web page of explanations and pointers to his own work,
at http://RmCisadu.let.uniroma1.it/~orlandi/mccarty1.html, and given me
gracious permission to circulate news of it. I sincerely hope it stirs up
like passions in others, since further debate would at minimum indicate
that concern for our field as a whole is not the solitary bent of a very
few. It is good for us all that gadflies buzz about (whatever one may think
of the sound they make :-). I indicate in my essay, for whatever it may be
worth to anyone, how highly I regard the TEI, but -- no disrespect intended
-- its pursuit is only one aspect of humanities computing as a whole, and
if we want to get full benefit from the TEI we'll pay some attention to its
broader intellectual context(s). We're magnanimous, yes? Not too much of a
stretch, though if paying such attention were not a bit of stretch, it
surely would not be worth any of the noise made so far about it. And
there's joy in stretching and being stretched ;-)....

APOLOGIES to those who attempted to access the URL of my essay, at
<http://ilex.cc.kcl.ac.uk/wlm/essays/know/>, and were met at the gate by a
demand for userid and password. My server did this on his own after I
changed his administrator password, honest. I have fixed him, so there
should be no more demands of that kind.

Humanist Discussion Group