13.0047 announcements & reports

Sat, 29 May 1999 09:22:34 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (62)
Subject: Alternative Database Copyright Bill Introduced

[2] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (87)
Subject: REPORT ON COPYRIGHT & DISTANCE EDUCATION AVAILABLE

[3] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (250)
Subject: ALA Response to Distance Education Report/ALAWON v8,
n50 - DISTANCE ED REPORT;

[4] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (152)
Subject: DRAFT DOCUMENTS: Encoding Medieval MS; Dublin Core &
RDF

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:20:48 +0100
From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org>

NINCH ANNOUNCEMENT
May 27, 1999

Alternative Database Copyright Bill Introduced

<http://www.databasedata.org/index.html>http://www.databasedata.org/index.html
<http://www.databasedata.org/Statement/statement.html>

The following announcement from the NCC Washington Update is a reminder of the
database bill H.R. 1858 introduced May 19as an alternative to H.R. 354, the
Collections of Information Antipiracy Act. NINCH is one of the co-signers of
the statement referred to.

David Green
===========

FROM: NCC Washington Update, Vol 5, #17, May 26, 1999
> by Page Putnam Miller, Director of the National Coordinating
> Committee for the Promotion of History <pagem@capaccess.org>
>

>>SNIP>>

>5. Alternative Database Copyright Bill: On May 19 Representatives Thomas
>Bliley (R-VA) and John Dingell (D-MI), the chair and ranking minority
>member of the House Commerce Committee, introduced H.R. 1858, the Consumer
>and Investor Access to Information Act of 1999.

This bill provides an alternative to H.R. 354, the Collections of Information
Antipiracy Act, which seeks to prohibit the misappropriation of commercial
collections of information by unscrupulous competitors who take data collected
by others, repackage it, and market a product that threatens competitive injury
to the original collection.

H.R.1858 also seeks to provide protection to publishers of electronic databases
but it also ensures public access to facts and information, which historically
have been part of the public domain. The American Library Association and
other library and scholarly groups that have been critical of H.R. 354 are
strong supporters of the alternative bill, H.R. 1858. Additional information
about H.R. 1858 may be found at
<<http://www.databasedata.org/Statement/statement.html>http://www.databased
ata.org/Statement/statement.html>

the "NCC Washington
>Update," send an e-mail message to listserv@h-net.msu.edu acc ording to
>the following model: SUBSCRIBE H-NCC firstname lastname, institution.
>* * * * * ** * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

David L. Green
Executive Director
NATIONAL INITIATIVE FOR A NETWORKED CULTURAL HERITAGE
21 Dupont Circle, NW
Washington DC 20036
<http://www.ninch.org>http://www.ninch.org
david@ninch.org
202/296-5346 202/872-0886 fax

See and search back issues of NINCH-ANNOUNCE at
<<http://www.cni.org/Hforums/ninch-announce/>http://www.cni.org/Hforums/nin
ch-announce/>.