13.0048 new on WWW: Brazilian lit, e-literacy, Euro-culture

Sat, 29 May 1999 09:25:06 +0100 (BST)

[1] From: GLORIA CELESTE B BRITO <a9627307@cce.ufsc.br> (25)
Subject: brazilian literature

[2] From: Currents In Electronic Literacy (53)
<ejournal@lists.cwrl.utexas.edu>
Subject: Currents in Electronic Literacy, No. 1

[3] From: NINCH-ANNOUNCE <david@ninch.org> (98)
Subject: Publication: 'Teaching European Literature & Culture
with Communication & Information Technology'

Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 09:23:35 +0100
From: GLORIA CELESTE B BRITO <a9627307@cce.ufsc.br>

Lovers of the Portuguese language and Brazilian literature have now free
access through the Internet to a dedicated site named "Literature on
Electronic Medium".

The chief works of the most important Brazilian authors now on public
domain - thus dead for more than 50 years - can be found on this site.
These include works belonging to the various literary movements,
such as the Baroque period, Romanticism, Realism and Naturalism, all
the way to the beginnings of the Modernist period. They are available on
line for reading or printing and include selected editions of the famous
"Sermons", by Padre Antonio Vieira; "Caramuru", the epic poem by Santa
Rita Dur=E3o; and "Capitu" and "Quincas Borba", by Machado de Assis, the
internationally renowned writer who is often compared to Laurence
Sterne and other British authors.=20
=20
In this same page there are also links to reviews written at the time of
publishing, as well as biographies, literary history, virtual
libraries and similar projects in several parts of the world. The site
contains pictures of the authors, images of the printed works, papers and
research done by the Center for Research on Computing, Literature and
Linguistics (NUPILL) of the Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina
in Florian=F3polis, Brazil.

This research group studies the relationship between the computer and
textual production. Some texts are translated into English.
=20
As NUPILL was created strictly for research purposes, access
is entirely free: http://www.cce.ufsc.br/~alckmar/literatura/literat.html